LL-L "Remedies" 2002.01.29 (03) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 23:34:53 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.JAN.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L "Remedies" (was "Lexicon") 2002.01.29 (01) [E]

Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org] wrote:

> I've been coming across the expression "sugarally water"
> in various texts in Scots recently. I can remember my
> grandmother talking about this (she called it "sugarelly
> water", of course), and I think she said it involved
> dissolving liquorice in water somehow. Does anyone know
> the recipe?

Me and my playmates used to make this regularly. Some hard liquorice was put
into an empty screw capped bottle which was then filled with water. To
dissolve it we would shake it well at the same time chanting...
"Shoogarally wa/er, black uz the lum." After a time the liquid assumed a
brownish tint but never tasted of very much as I recall. I never heard of it
having any curative powers although liquorice is still used in treating
duodenal ulcers.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."