LL-L "Etymology" 2002.01.30 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 05:29:35 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 30.JAN.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Etymology"
>
> > From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> > Subject: Etymology
> >
> > Thanks for the info (above), Andy and Sandy!
> >
> > Of course, this raises the question if there is a link between
> > Scots _lum_,
> > Welsh _llumon_ ("roof opening" =) 'chimney' and Latin _lumen_ > 'opening',
> > 'light' (i.e., an opening through which daylight is seen, > _lumin-_ as > in
> > _luminous_, _luminescence_, etc.).
>
> There are certainly strong historical connections between Latin
> and Welsh due, perhaps, to a late alliance as the ancient Britons
> used their Roman connections in an attempt to hold back other
> invaders. Many Welsh words were borrowed directly from the Latin
> of the invading Romans. An example that springs to mind is the
> Welsh "pont" meaning "bridge", and the large number of Welsh
> placenames with this word (Pontypool, Pontypridd, Pen-y-Bont
> &c) attesting to its antiquity.

Ah, the _Concise Scots Dictionary_ supports this Welsh > Scots loan
theory, pointing out that Scots _lum(b)_ 'chimney' is related to Modern
Northeastern English _lumbe_ 'roof opening', and then "cf. obs. Welsh
_llumon_ 'chimney'."

> So I can't see anything difficult about the progression
> L. lumen -> W. llumon -> S. lum.

Neither can I.  But apparently this connection has not been made.  Or
has it?  I wonder if Welsh etymologists have come up with Latin _lumen_
> Welsh _llumon_.

The apparent double meaning of Latin _lumen_ as 'light' and 'opening'
has never seemed problematic to me, considering that the only constant
opening and source of daylight in (usually very dark) ancient-style
houses, yurts, gers, teepees, hogans, etc., was/is a smoke hole, either
in the roof/top or in the top of the gable, under the eaves.
Apparently, this is also the origin of English _window_ (Middle English
< Old Nordic _vindauga_, cf. Danish _vindu_): "wind eye," i.e., the hole
through which wind entered the house.