LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.07.02 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 2 23:09:28 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JUL.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

Dear All,

Luc wrote

>I think we should only look for "cognates" regarding
>the Swadesh
>list...the meaning of words is too futile and fickle
(fuzzy and
>"not-measurable")imho.

I think just sticking to cognates would probably
defeat the object of the calculation. Using English as
the base, you could probably find cognates for all
these words in Scots, even if they're not the usual
word, and this in turn would indicate that they have
in fact never split, which is always an argument for
the possibility of the two forming a language
continuum, but not very helpful when trying to
calculate when they started to develop independantly
of one another.

I'm sure the same could probably also be said of using
Dutch as a base and comparing this with Limburgish for
example, as cognates for all the 'standard' words
could probably be found in the other even if they are
just loans from Dutch.

However, saying this, I find the idea of looking for
cognates as more linguistically interesting, as we
could compare the phonetic development in the
different dialects. Although the idea of the Swadesh
list is interesting to calculate splits, I think it's
been proven to be very 'rough', and very Eurocentric.
Tests have been carried out on non-Indo-European
languages using the Swadesh list calculations and
shown to be very inaccurate. But that's just my
opinion! The list as it stands is also very
interesting to compare.

Gary