LL-L "Resources" 2002.07.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 21:08:16 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JUL.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Folks,

As most of you already know, we are currently working on online
"blurbs": brief introductions to the language varieties we here consider
"Lowlandic."
We need your help.

(1) Sandy Fleming has composed a nice blurb about Scots, and Mathieu van
Woerkom, Roman Laryushkin and I are in the process of translating and
otherwise processing it.  Sandy kindly supplied a few brief language
samples to represent the main dialect areas of Mainland Scots.  We still
need one or (if there is much diversity) up to three brief samples of
Ulster Scots and Shetlandic each, also Orkney Scots if possible, with
translations.

(2) Also blurbs about Limburgish and Frisian are already in the works,
and I intend to write one about Lowlands Saxon (Low German).  We still
need blurbs for the other varieties.  (Please take a look at our
homepage to see which ones they are.  Yes, a (West) Flemish one would be
great too.)  You do not have to write them in English or necessarily in
a Lowlandic language, just as long as someone can translate them.

(3) We are also asking for "sub-blurbs." These are to be brief
free-style, essay-like introductions to specific dialects or dialect
groups or on whatever your pet aspect may be.  They will be linked to
from the respective main blurbs.

(4) We need volunteer translators.  Mathieu, Roman and I are doing our
best to cope with Dutch, Russian, Ukrainian and German, but we could
always do with some help.  We definitely need help with French and would
also like to include Spanish.  Any other translations (e.g., Portuguese,
Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, ...) would be very much welcome also.

Please remember that these introductions are primarily intended for
non-linguists, for average, interested web surfers (including students
of any age).  Thus, they need not, actually should not be written in a
highly technical, academic style.  If this is not enough to encourage
you, I assure you that several of us would always be happy to help you
should you feel a bit overwhelmed or unsure.  Think of it as an
opportunity to help people get to know something about languages and
cultures that are dear to your hearts but are poorly known globally.

Please write to me (sassisch at yahoo.com) to let me know that and how you
wish to help or to submit your compositions.  It is all right to send in
draft versions if you need private feedback before coming up with final
versions.  As for main blurbs, you might like to write to me first to
get an idea of the general format we try to follow.

Thank you to all of you who have already helped, and thanks in advance
for any help forthcoming.