LL-L "Morphology" 2002.07.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 6 02:18:48 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.JUL.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Morphology" 2002.07.04 (01) [E]

>From: "Roman Laryushkin" <puka_2000 at mail.ru>
>
>Dear Lowlanders!
>
>Who can tell me about origination of the adjectivel suffix -sk-, which
>can be
>found in all the Slavic and Germanic languages (also in forms -sh- and
>-sch-)?
>
>Roman Laryushkin.

Hello Roman !

Sorry I can't tell anything about the origin of this suffix but I want
show a striking example from our Eastern Friesland Low Saxon (possibly
occuring in other Low Saxon variants too):
We have ~sk
a) to denote the degree of an attribute
example:
ge:l = yellow; ge:lsk = a tint of yellow, yellow-ish (in German it is:
gelblich)
b) to change a verb into an adjective
examples:
bölken = to shout, to be loud, to have a loud voice
häi is bölksk = he is a person always having a loud voice
bi:ten = to bite; bi:tsk = biting (German: bissig)
c) as part of several adjectives which have no (or possibly have lost)
verbs as counterparts.
examples:
helsk = to be up early, to be very much in time
stótsk = stately, imposing, proud
ollerwelsk = old fashioned
d) and in cases sometimes difficult to translate where it "makes an
adjective to be an adjective". This means it is (somewhat tautological)
added to an adjektive to apply to a special mood or to give it a special
taste.
example:
lelk = bad, evil, naughty, quarrelsome
häi is lelksk = he is of a quarrelsome kind
An other thing is a kind of feminine nouns (often marking professions
made
up as tautological intensified forms by forming adjectives of the above
mentioned kind):
olske = woman, wife, elderly woman
[ol = old, olsk = like old (German: ältlich), olsk + e= feminine
marker]
tóterske = Gipsy-woman
[tóter = Gipsy]
naisterske = sewing-woman
[na:jen = to sew, naister = sewing-woman, naistersk = to be like a
sewing-
woman; naisterske = a woman being a sewing woman]

Kind regards
Holger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Morphology

Roman, Holger,

It's correct to say that this morpheme exists in other Lowlands Saxon
(Low German) dialects also.  It is usually _-sche_ or _-sch_ (in
dialects that delete _-e_).

Other Lowlanders may remember me mentioning it once or twice, but for
you, Roman, and a few other Slavic speakers who joined us more recently,
I will repeat that it is believed that this compound morpheme
(originally probably */+sk+a/ > /+sk+e/) entered Russian as _-sha_ from
Middle Low Saxon, used to derive feminine forms of certain profession
names.

Morpheme borrowing also happened the other way around.  In the LS
dialects of Mecklenburg and Pomerania (where it is seen as one of the
distinguishing features), _-ink_ or _-ing_ serves as diminutive suffix,
thus for instance (_Vadder_ 'father' >) _Vaddink_ 'daddy', (_Mudder_
'mother' >) _Muddink_ 'mommy', (_Kind_ 'child' >) _Kinnink_ 'kiddo',
(_Margarete_ 'Margaret' > _Greten_ >) _Gretink_ 'Maggie'.  This was most
likely borrowed from the West Slavic Pomeranian language (< _-inke_ <
_-inka_) that used to be spoken in that area and may be considered
surviving in its fareastern forms in Kashubian (Northern Poland).

Lexical Slavic influences on LS are another matter.  They reach as far
west as Holstein, Hamburg and Hannover, which is about the old
Slavic-Germanic language boundary.