LL-L "Body parts" 2002.07.08 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 21:52:47 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUL.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Liver.

Beste leeglanners,

The etymology of "liver" is a little obscure (on a higher level than the
Germanic one) if I must believe my books.
In Indo-European languages a liver can be considered as "the fat,
greasy,
sticky organ".

What surprised me most though is that apparently a liver is also the
sole
organ that was really offered to the gods after a human being was
sacrificed. In this respect, a liver should be viewed as a "left-over".
Would the fact that a liver is the biggest organ in our body have
something
to do with this ?

Maybe this is the only good reason to become a drunkard Fiete...you'd
never
have gotten sacrificed (in prehistoric times at least)...*s*...
On a sidenote : How on earth did you know I love red wine Fiete ? *s*

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Bowels.

Beste leeglanners,

Thinking somewhat along the line recently started (liver and stomach and
their possible "supernatural" meaning in olden times), there is
something
that has often puzzled me.
In Brabantish there is this expression : "Goed a oren vullen" (nasal o),
which would be "Goed je aderen vullen" in standard Dutch. It's said when
person has been able to eat a lot of food.
What first seemed pretty strange to me was that "aderen" (D), "veins"
(E),
"athera" (Old-Saxon), "ædre" (Old English), which are blood vessels,
were
believed to contain food...
Further research showed that "inadere" (Middle Dutch) referred to
"bowels".
Old Saxon also had the expression "ut innathrian" meaning : "removing
the
intestines of an animal". Also Middle Irish "inathar" (= bowels). Even
Greek
has its cognates "etor" and "etron" respectively signifying "heart" and
"belly".

Is there another region in the Lowlands where "aderen" are used in
connection with "food" ?

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx