LL-L "Idiomatica" 2002.07.08 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 22:40:33 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 08.JUL.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
Subject: Idiomatica

Lowlanders,

Under "Body Parts," Luc Hellinckx (to be distinguished from Luc van
Brabant who, to complicate matters, enriches our discussions with
Flemish information) wrote about Brabantish:

> In Brabantish there is this expression : "Goed a oren vullen" (nasal o),
> which would be "Goed je aderen vullen" in standard Dutch. It's said when
> a person has been able to eat a lot of food.

To my knowledge, there is no Lowlands Saxon (Low German) equivalent.  I
can think only of two idiomatic expressions using _Ader_ ~ _Oder_ ~
_aoder_ ['?Q:d3`] 'vein':

(1) _to Ader laten_ ("to let to vein") 'to open (someone's) vein to
allow
    blood to flow', 'to bleed (for medical reasons), 'to take a blood
    sample' > 'to take something off (someone)', 'to rob (someone)
    surrepticiously', 'to bleed (someone) dry' (= 'take someone's money
    in the course of a crooked scheme')

(2) _'n Ader för (wat) hebben_ ("to have a vein for (something)") 'to
have
    a tendency toward (something)', 'to have a talent for (something)';
    e.g., _He meent, to'n Sprakenlehren hett he keen Ader_ ("He claims
    to the learning of languages has he no vein") 'He claims to have no
    language learning talent.'

If someone said to me _He hett sien Adern good full (~ füllt)_ (based on
Luc's Brabantish expression), I would understand this to mean that he
got intoxicated (i.e., his veins full of red wine or something
stronger).

There are about six million idiomatic expressions to render 'drunk' in
Lowlands Saxon, some highlights being _natte Fööt hebben_ ("to have wet
feet"), _runne Fööt hebben_ ("to have round feet"), _nich alleen wesen_
("to be not alone"), _too veel Ballast hebben_ ("to have too much
ballast"), _'n Brummküsel hebben_ ("to have a humming top (= a sort of
toy)"), _'n Haarbüdel hebben_ ("to have a bag of hair," don't ask me
why, this being the only context the noun is used in these days), _een
in de Prüük hebben_ ("to have one* in the wig"), _een ünner de Mütz
hebben_ ("to have one* under(neath) the cap/hat"), _scheve Steveln
anhebben_ ("to wear crooked boots"), _'n Lütten in de Kist hebben_ ("to
have a little one* in the box"), _een ünner de Luuk hebben_ ("to have
one* under the hatch"), _een in de Kroon hebben_ ("to have one* in the
crown"), _scheev laadt hebben_ ("to have loaded crookedly/in an
unbalanced way"), _sien Tung gaiht up hulten Tüffeln_ ("his tongue is
walking on wooden clogs").

(* I suppose _een_ "one" here refers to _Duuntje_ ['du:ntje], _Dunas_
['du:nas], _Kliester_ ['kli:st3`] ("glue," "paste"), _Glimmer_ ['glIm3`]
or _Swiemel_ ['swi:ml=], all words denoting 'drunkenness', just as a
countable noun - and there are more, not to mention the mysterious
_Haarbüdel_ ("bag of hair"), whatever story may be behind that one ...)

I suppose all this is yet more proof of cultural sophistication ...

Cheers (from a tea-totaller, albeit European-born and raised)!