LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.07.09 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 22:40:36 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.JUL.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Body parts" 2002.07.08 (05) [E]

Luc Hellinckx wrote:

> In Brabantish there is this expression : "Goed a oren vullen" (nasal o),
> which would be "Goed je aderen vullen" in standard Dutch. It's said when
> person has been able to eat a lot of food.

> Is there another region in the Lowlands where "aderen" are used in
> connection with "food" ?

And Holger responded:

If I
read Your "Goed a oren vullen" it reminds me to Low Saxon "bit an d'
o:ren
ful" (filled up to the ears) which probably makes more sense than to
assume
that people once thought the veins to carry food.

In Zeelandic, we have about the same expression as Holger
mentioned for Low Saxon. Someone who ate too much is
_orensvol_ or _orensvul_ ('full up to his ears'). There is also
the expression "j'n oortjes of vrete", 'eat your ears off'. In this
expression, _oren_ could stand for both 'ears' and the now
dissapeared coin called _oord_ (dimin. _oordje_) that was
worth two _duiten_ or 1/4 _stuver_. So _j'n oordjes of
vrete_ could also stand for spending every single penny on
food.
And Luc, I never heard any expression what so ever with
_aeren_ ('veins', Dutch _aderen_)...

Regards,

Marco