LL-L "Phonology" 2002.07.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 12 14:16:08 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JUL.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2002. 07. 11 (02) {E]

Hi, Lowlanders, Ron,

Fiete wrote:
>> some days ago one of You (sorry, cannot find him) wrote about the
>> substitution of engl. "th" into "f", in Scots.

Sandy answered:
>Note that this doesn't happen in Scots, nor even in
>Scotland. It's a purely English of England phenomenon.>

>Sandy

Hi, Sandy,
I'm sorry for that mistake of mine! I'll try to become a better reader
of
all LL-L-Messages.
Please notice- for me the most fascinating thing here, on LL-L,  is
everything  around *Scots*.

By the way: the adverbial "purely", as You wrote, is just a kind of
strengthening, I guess, and still allowed to be used in common English?

Regards and- never mind, please.

Fiete.

----------

From: "" <johnno55 at excite.com>
Subject: Verb forms in Afrikaans

Groete aan al die laelanders,

In reading some of the recent contributions I was struck by verb forms
that I assumed had come into Afrikaans as a
result of mishearing or mispronouncing the 17 th century Dutch by the
mixed bag of early settlers at the Cape.

I was astonished to find that the verb gee loses the "f" in some of the
languages spoken in the lowlands countries

Ik geef (I give) in Dutch ek gee in Afrikaans

Would the same be true of ek glo -- ik geloof (I believe) bly for blijf
(to stay or inhabit ) but the word to live (om te leef)
does not lose its final "f"
another irregularity?? in Afrikaans is the survival of the plural or
infinitive form in the case of some verbs where the
shortened verion would be expected
ek doen instead of ik doe (I do)
ek staan instead of ik sta (I stand)
the verb gaan follows the same rule

Perhaps my idle curiousity can be satisfied by the group.

Many thanks to all who who give me great enjoyment in the discussions
raised.

John le Grange