LL-L "Place names" 2002.07.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 13 22:33:57 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUL.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Place names" 2002.07.12 (03) [E]

I read this with some interest because multiple naming seems to be a
"Germanic trait", at least here in PA.  I live in York County (due north
of Baltimore right across the Mason-Dixon Line), and the towns, and the
churches frequently have two names.  And the streets regularly change
names (much to the confusion and consternation of outsiders) sometimes
even within the same municipalities (PA is a true commonwealth -- York
County has 88 municipalities and one always lives in two of them!).
Among our local curiosities are

Railroad (also known as "Shrewsbury Station")
Jacobus (also known as "New Paradise")

I won't even bother with churches -- all the ones outside of town have
an official name (e.g., I used to belong to Bethlehem Lutheran and
Reformed Church), and a common use name, frequently derived from the
family who donated the land for the church (e.g., the above church is
usually called "Steltz Church").

Erek Gass