LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.13 (04) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 13 22:37:02 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUL.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Body parts" 2002.07.08 (05) [E]

>From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
>Subject: Bowels.
>
>Beste leeglanners,
>
>Thinking somewhat along the line recently started (liver and stomach and
>their possible "supernatural" meaning in olden times), there is
>something
>that has often puzzled me.
>In Brabantish there is this expression : "Goed a oren vullen" (nasal o),
>which would be "Goed je aderen vullen" in standard Dutch. It's said when
>person has been able to eat a lot of food.
......>
>Is there another region in the Lowlands where "aderen" are used in
>connection with "food" ?
>
>Greetings,
>
>Luc Hellinckx

Hello Luc !

Here I'm once again on the same subject. I didn't misinterprete
Your "aoren" as "ears" in my former response remembering the phrase "bit
an
d' o:ren ful" which has a similar meaning and likeness of the sounds.
I just had the following possibilities in mind:
a) Such a phrase has two different levels of meanings:
first that of the whole phrase (somewhat like "You have eaten too
much"),
second that of the single words. Because the meaning of the single words
get irrelevant You might also insert a fantasy-word as long as it
resembles
the sound.
If this phrase is genuine to Your language it could be possible that in
former times the pronounciation of the word meaning ears was much nearer
to "aoren" than it is today. When the pronounciation changed people held
the old phrase but lost the meaning of the single word not changing it
actual pronounciation but adapting an other word that best resembles the
old sound regardless to it's meaning.
b) It might be that this phrase isn't genuine to Your language but
loaned
from an other in which the word really meant "ears" or something else
except "veins" but was adapted by using the word for "veins" because
this
better resembled the sound of the alien word.
Let an example explain it:
In German we often use the phrase "Hals- und Beinbruch" (neck- and leg-
[or
bone]-fracture)to wish somebody "good luck". If You ask people about the
origin they'll mostly tell You it was something like an archaic trial to
trick out evil spirits by saying something contrary to what You mean.
But the truth is: its derived from the Yiddish "haslach ben broch" (luck
and blessing).

Kind regards
Holger

----------

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: Etymology

Hallo, Lowlanders, Ron,

these days I found in a French dictionary the translation for the famous
name "Angelique" into "Angel-like" (Germ. "Engel-gleich"). We got the
same
name in German as "Angelika".
I felt surprised, first because of the part "-lique". It's so obvious
similar to Engl. "like" and Low Saxon "liek (li:k)", Upper Germ.
"gleich"
with the same meaning! Could it be a Germanic loan in this typical
french
name, or is "Angelika" the older one?

Then I made some thoughts about the French (and Spanish, thanks,
Gabriele!)
"Ange", Engl. "angel", Germ. "Engel". It's not of Latin-Romanic origin,
think (there were no angels in the ancient greece/roman mythology),
though
there may be an "angelus" at any place. If it is, it's  just a later
"latinized" form, used in the middle-ages by christianic translators and
writers.

So- whats Your opinion about it?

Regards

Fiete.

----------

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>

Dach ook, Leeglanners, Ron,

bie'nt Stövern in't LL-L-Archiv fünn ick 'n poor Weeken aule Vöörgang
wegen
dat Verschuuwen von *f* tau *ch*, faaken tau seihn in't
Hollandsche/Flaamsche.

Ron schreev dortau okk'n Biespeel uut'n Plattdüütschen: hauchdüütsch
"Luft"
(air) woor tau "Lucht". Dat schall woll sau angohn, door giff't noch dat
Verbum "(hauch-)lüchten" ("to lift up"), watt doortau tau höörn schient.
(Hett de "Lupp [Heu,op de Fork]", dennen wi opt 'Fööhr" [Fuder]
hauchlüchen
müssen, dor ook watt mit tau dauhn?)

Blauts- in uns' Geigend, anne Küst' un' anne Elv, gifft dat noch
mennigmool
sauwatt as (Upper Germ.) "Hohe Lucht" or "Hohe Luft". Datt sünn freuher
Lüchttörn (fire-houses) ween, un' tau dat Substantiv "Licht"  ward ook
in
uns Tieden noch "Lucht" seegt- overs "lücht mi mool" ("give me a
light?!")
in't Verbum.
Schien't 'n beeten Kuddelmuddel tau ween.

Fiete.