LL-L "History" 2002.07.14 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 19:27:42 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUL.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2002.07.13 (01) [A/E]

Hugenots (or French Reformists or French Reformed) fled from France
(primarily the south, the "Midi" -- it was the area with the bulk of the
Protestants in France), or near the borders with other nations, after
the St Bartholomew's Day Massacre (25-26 August 1572).  The massacre
began in Paris, but as word of the event (and the movement of the Army)
spread out from the Ile de France, many Protestants packed their bags
and left for "safe" Protestant areas (including the Netherlands) and in
particular the Lutheran and Reformed German states, and Britain.  Later
persecutions chased out other remainders of the so-called "Calvinists"
(this discussion list is devoted to language rather than religious
history so I won't go into details, but Jean Calvin is overly identified
and over credited compared to the reformers who were ahead of him),
probably the most famous is the insurrection against the Camisards.

The Netherlands received some of the Hugenots, and I understand some
actually went almost directly from France to ships going to South Africa
from the Netherlands.

The [effective] expulsion of the Hugenots had a number of curious
effects on Germanic-speaking nations.  Ireland got a silk industry.  The
English language got Roget's Thesaurus.  Britain's American colonies
took in many refugees (especially the Carolinas; New Rochelle NY was a
Hugenot refuge; and, of course, Paul Revere in Massachusetts was from a
Hugenot family [and was looked upon as something of an outsider because
of it!]).  The Palatinate welcomed the refugees, and they often
"Germanised" their names in pronuciation and even spelling (my own
patronym is an example).  Many later emigrated to Pennsylvania leaving
their French background behind (curiously the "German" Reformed Church
long strong in central PA probably is composed mostly of persons of more
French ancestry than German).

Several documentaries presented on American television about South
Africans have not only included references to Afrikaners of Hugenot
descent, but have actually pointed out that heritage (perhaps because
the names are so flagrantly French rather than Dutch).

I don't believe this answers your question (in full anyway), but perhaps
it will shed some light on it.  (Ron, maybe this isn't even worth
sharing with anyone else, but if you think it is applicable to original
request, please pass it along to the requester.)

I hope we now live in a world where there is more tolerance and
acceptance than was the case that led to all of the forced evacuations
of the past.

Erek Gass

----------

From: "Elsie Zinsser" <mezinsser at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2002.07.14 (01) [A]

Haai almal,

Ja, Mathieu, dit is wel so dat die Franse Hugenote na Suid Afika gevlug
het
om Katolieke onderdrukking in Frankryk vry te spring. Historici is dit
eens
(en ek kan nie nou vir jou verwysings gee nie), dat hulle eers in
Nederland
gewoon het en van daar na Suid Afrika  immigreer het.

Die Hugenote vallei (rondom Franschhoek) is 'n bekende wynarea. Die
Hugenote
(waarskynlik van Duits: Eidgenossen) was natuurlik Calviniste en het aan
Suid Afrikaners die vanne Fouche, Malan, Le Roux, en die voorname
Francois,
Jacques, Andre, e.a saamgebring. Ek dink dat die Afrikaanse bry-R van
die
Franse af kom! Byvoorbeeld: Malmesbu{rh}ie se boe{rh}e eet b{rh}uin
b{rh}ood!

Hoop dit help.
Elsie Zinsser