LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.14 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 19:40:15 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUL.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.13 (04) [E/LS]

Fiete wrote:

>these days I found in a French dictionary the translation for the famous
>name "Angelique" into "Angel-like" (Germ. "Engel-gleich"). We got the
>same
>name in German as "Angelika".
>I felt surprised, first because of the part "-lique". It's so obvious
>similar to Engl. "like" and Low Saxon "liek (li:k)", Upper Germ.
>"gleich"
>with the same meaning! Could it be a Germanic loan in this typical
>french
>name, or is "Angelika" the older one?
>
>Then I made some thoughts about the French (and Spanish, thanks,
>Gabriele!)
>"Ange", Engl. "angel", Germ. "Engel". It's not of Latin-Romanic origin,
>think (there were no angels in the ancient greece/roman mythology),
>though
>there may be an "angelus" at any place. If it is, it's  just a later
>"latinized" form, used in the middle-ages by christianic translators and
>writers.
>
>So- whats Your opinion about it?
>
>Regards
>
>Fiete.

Fiete, Lowlanders,

The word 'angelos' was used in New Testament Greek for 'messenger', and
probably as the Greek equivalent for Old Testament Hebrew ' mal'akh '
also
meaning messenger.  I don't know about for any of the other forms of
Greek.
This is the source for 'angel' etc.  Did the Greek gods not have
messengers?
  I presume that some form of this word was used in translating when the
messenger in question was not of human form.  The concept of angels as
well
behaved beings came later, though I know not through what historical
development.  The angels of the Bible were actually quite the
troublemakers.
  So neither the Greeks, nor the Romans, nor the Jews, nor the
Christians
had angels as we think of them today.

Couldn't angelique be divided into 'angel-' and '-ique', with the
'-ique' possibly corresponding to '-ic' as in 'germanic' or
'christianic'(as
you write above).  So 'angelique' could (or should) have been translated
as
'angelic' (which essentially means angel-like anyways).  I don't know
which
language borrowed from which, if there is indeed a connection between
'-ic'
and '-ique'.  I don't know what the related suffixes are in any other
languages of interest on this list either.

Randy Elzinga
frisiancow at hotmail.com

From: Ysmael Tisnado <guarda3 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.13 (05) [E]

We say suerte in Mexico and the southwest but I
will try to find a good equivalent soon.