LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.14 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 14 22:37:46 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUL.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.14 (04)[E]

Dear Lowlanders, Randy,

Randy Elzinga frisiancow at hotmail.com wrote:

>Fiete, Lowlanders,
>
>The word 'angelos' was used in New Testament Greek for 'messenger', and
>probably as the Greek equivalent for Old Testament Hebrew ' mal'akh '
>also
>meaning messenger.  I don't know about for any of the other forms of
>Greek.
>This is the source for 'angel' etc.  Did the Greek gods not have
>messengers?
>  I presume that some form of this word was used in translating when the
>messenger in question was not of human form.  The concept of angels as
>well
>behaved beings came later, though I know not through what historical
>development.  The angels of the Bible were actually quite the
>troublemakers.
>  So neither the Greeks, nor the Romans, nor the Jews, nor the
>Christians
>had angels as we think of them today.
>
>Couldn't angelique be divided into 'angel-' and '-ique', with the
>'-ique' possibly corresponding to '-ic' as in 'germanic' or
>'christianic'(as
>You write above).  So 'angelique' could (or should) have been translated
>as
>'angelic' (which essentially means angel-like anyways).  I don't know
>which
>language borrowed from which, if there is indeed a connection between
>'-ic'
>and '-ique'.  I don't know what the related suffixes are in any other
>languages of interest on this list either.

Thanks, Randy, for Your introduction about those "messengers and
troublemakers".- But "angelos" is, as You wrote, New Testament Greek,
and
therefore  influenced by christianic thoughts and ambitions. I'd like to
say, it doesn't prove anything about the etymologic origin of our
european
angels.

Let me, please, improve one thing concerning my posting: in French there
is
first "Ange", as I wrote, followed by "-lique". It seems important to
me!

Of course the Old Greece and Roman cultures had their messengers- the
Orakels for example!*s*

Looking kindly forward for anybody's new statements.

Regards

Fiete.

----------

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: Post Scriptum to: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.14(04)[E]

Sorry- I forgot Hermes, the keeper of the sun and messenger of the
olympic
gods- he DID have wings, like our nowaday's angels!! Sorry!

----------

From: Ysmael Tisnado <guarda3 at yahoo.com>

In ladino we say niyet,echos buenos,mazal tov,vwena
ventura,besi mantove all mean good luck as you can the
hebrew is used also in Ladino. to dissappear here goes
in ladino
desapareser-deperder(se)-esvanecer-desaparecer,spanish desaparecer,

=====
Yshmael Escudero Luna Tisnado(Coronet)II=YELTCII-guarda3 at yahoo.com

----------

From: Ysmael Tisnado <guarda3 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language contacts" 2002.07.14 (01) [E/LS]

In Ladino brook is filero,in Spanish its regato
-riatillo, In Italian its ruscello,In Portuegese
arroio-ribeiro,Disappear in Italian
sparire-scomparire-svanire,Good luck in Italian is
bouna fortuna.

=====
Yshmael Escudero Luna Tisnado(Coronet)II=YELTCII-guarda3 at yahoo.com

From: Ysmael Tisnado <guarda3 at yahoo.com>

In Ladino brook is filero also chay of Turkish origin.

=====
Yshmael Escudero Luna Tisnado(Coronet)II=YELTCII-guarda3 at yahoo.com