LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.07.16 (06) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 21:58:04 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUL.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: <burgdal32 at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.07.13 (06) [E/LS]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language contacts
> (1) There is no such thing as a pure language/dialect -- no, not even in
> Iceland (where foreign words are filtered out of the written standard)
> and in the post-Soviet Baltic countries (where, like in France, language
> committees and the language police have been patrolling the streets in
> search of evil foreign words on public display).  Our languages and

Dear Lowlanders
I certainly do agree with Ron here.
We have to look at the things that are common for the lowlandlanguages.
And
the differences can only enrich what is already there.
In my West-Flanders region we have already differences within 10 km (and
even less!)
One example:
School-schole-s'hole-'tschole-skole-skola-...
(sxo:l - sxo:l@ - sho:l@ - tSXo:l@ - sko:l@ - skolA ... )
But for all these forms we definatly say that they are West-Flemish.
There
is no problem with understanding and it can only tell us to look a bit
further and to find perhaps some simularities in other lowland regions.
I am afraid that we could try to do the same things as they did in
France.
When you look at the French history of languages you will find only
languages that disappear!Almost none of the French know f.i. that the
lowlands have had quiet a  big influence on the birth of their language,
even stronger: They just tried to minimise it or to ignore its
existence.
For France that has been a great loss of original culture.(One example:
The
great story of 'La chanson de Roland'. Ask any Frenchmen the meaning of
all
the names in the story and they will not be able to give an explination,
while any  'Lowlandspeaker' already can give quiet a few hints)
Let's be happy for the differences, it can only make our culture richer.

Groetjes
Luc Vanbrabant
Oekene