LL-L "Administrativa" 2002.07.16 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 16 20:42:24 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUL.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

To: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

I wrote:

> Since my last Administrativa message last week (July 12) we got a few
> new subscribers.  They come from the following places:
>
> BELGIUM:
>    Oostende, West-Vlaanderen
> CANADA:
>    Moncton, New Brunswick
>    Summerland, British Columbia
> GERMANY:
>    Cologne (Köln), Northrhine-Westphalia
> INDONESIA:
>    Mojokerto, East Java
> MONGOLIA:
>    Ulaanbaatar (Ulan Bator), Hentiyn Nuruu
> NETHERLANDS:
>    Hoeven, Noord-Brabant
>    Sint-Maartensdijk, Zeeland
>    Tiel, Gelderland
> PERU:
>    Lima, Lima
> UNITED KINGDOM:
>    (chose not to share any details)
> UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:
>    Bainbridge Island, Washington (Hi, neighbor!)

As of this moment (and the latest subscription took place about one
minute ago), this makes exactly 351 subscribers all over the world.

Just now I was happy to welcome yet another new subscriber, this one
from Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa. Welkom!  This makes it 352.

While I was filing away subscription applications of the past few weeks,
I was struck by some of the "blurbs" people wrote under "Purpose".
Without giving away the applicants' identity, I will share a few of
these below.  I believe that sharing such selections with you once in a
while will help us better understand the motives and interests of our
members.

Friendly regards,
Reinhard/Ron

===

>From the USA:
Am interested in learning about the center and origin of
oral and written Appalachian language.  I admitted that heretofore I
erroneously thought that it, Appalachian was merely an ebonics
(illegitimate) form of German with some Elizabethan epressions thrown
in.  I heard speakers of this language as a boy in the Shanandoah region
where I was born and reared until junior high school days.  I'm retired
and 63 years old.  Thank you.

>From South Africa:
I teach courses in Afrikaans for Beginners and Basic Dutch
at the University of Natal, and comapartive studies of the two languages
and their cultures. Obviously everything you can offer would be grist to
my mill!

>From Canada:
More knowledge of Lowland Languages and possibly new friends from there.

>From the USA:
I am an American of English and Scottish ancestry, with
roots in Appalachia. I also speak Dutch after having studied in West
Flanders as a high school exchange student. Although that was many years
ago, I have maintained my fluency in Dutch, and I continue to be
interested in Dutch/Flemish and related languages. I heard about this
site from my friend Luc Vanbrabant who lives in West Vlaanderen.

>From France:
Getting in contact with people who like me feel that language
conservation has more than a cultural aspect, e.g. a political one. My
mothertongue is saxon (lower saxon).

>From England:
I think you've missed a language and that is Northumbrian,
from which 'Scots' is derived. There is a thriving Northumbrian Language
Society in North East England. The language covers the County of
Northumberland, Tyneside (Newcastle area) and the northern part of
County Durham. This area covers more than one million people. Although
the langauge is steadily been eroded by standard British English it is
as widely spoken as our sister tongue Scots. Examples of words used
still used - Hyem (home), Hoose (House), Claes (Clothes), Baal (Ball),
Hoond (Hound or Dog), Bray (to hit / strike or to hammer / pound), Poond
(Pound), Cloot (clout or to strike), breest (breast) and so on. The
history books tell us that the original Northumbrian settlers were
Angles who came from the Low Countries. I'd be interested in any
information you can give me.

>From the Netherlands:
Hoop hierdoor meer kennis over mijn moedertaal op te doen.
Ik ben altijd bijzonder geïnteresseerd in de herkomst van woorden en
uitdrukkingen.

>From the Netherlands:
Meer over het ontstaan en de ontwikkeling van het zeeuws.

>From the Netherlands:
om op de oogte te bluven van mun moeders taele

>From the Netherlands:
Ik abonneer mij op de e-maillijst vanuit mijn belangstelling voor
taalkundige thema's. Via de e-maillijst hoop ik diepergaande informatie
omtrent bepaalde Germaanse talen te betrekken vanuit uiteenlopende
invalshoeken. Bovendien ben ik Zeeuwstalig opgevoed en spreek ik met
mijn
naaste familie (ouders, zus) nog Zeeuws. Wie weet kan ik vanuit die
positie een zinnige bijdrage leveren.

>From the Netherlands:
'k Wil da oons dialect bluuf bestaon.
'k Wens judder vee succes mee judder site.

>From the Netherlands:
I am very interested in languages. I study Dutch and I live in
Friesland, where they speak also a different language. I hope to learn
more about the languages above.
No, in noflike dei tawinske en oant sjen!!!

>From the United Kingdom:
I was a subscriber in the past and I miss it!

>From the USA:
More understanding of the underpinning of the English language.

>From the USA:
Love the sound of the language and the look of it. I subscribe to
Lallans and am learning Scots.

>From the USA:
I may learn some new languages.  I may learn something about the
development and future of the Lowlands languages.  I may increase my
facility with my first language.

>From the Netherlands:
Ik ope m'n scriptie iermee te 'versnellen'of in feite van de hrond te
kriehen. Ik bin nog steeds nie gestart in dat mot noe maar 's hae
hebeure. Wie weet wat ak oamae kan vraehe ier vo die scriptie. In a't
oales af is kan 'k misschien wa iets publicere ofzo... Hroatse plannen,
ma jist maar 's behinne!
Boven oales oop ik ier wiezer te woaren over m'n eihe taeltje.

>From Belgium:
e bitje diskutern over de uze toale, wa zien uze workels

>From the Netherlands:
Meer oog krijgen voor de vele overeenkomsten in de door mij aangeklikte
talen. Allerlei woorden of uitdrukkingen komen in eerste instantie
vreemd voor, omdat ze in de verschillende talen zo anders uitgesproken
of gebruikt worden. Neem je echter de tijd om die vreemde woorden
langzaam hardop uit te spreken, dan kan het zomaar gebeuren dat je zo'n
woord
of uitdrukking "te pakken hebt" of dat het jou te pakken krijgt!
Spannend,
leerzaam en leuk, zo'n feest der herkenning...

>From the USA:
General interest in comparing languages and sharing enjoyment.

>From the Netherlands:
In verband met regelmatige duurzame contacten met "laaglanders" vanaf
Frans-Vlaanderen tot de "platduutse" streek van Noord-Duitsland
(omgeving Cuxhaven)hoop ik nog meer te weten te komen over en op de
hoogte te blijven van deze verwante dialecten.