LL-L "Help needed" 2002.07.16 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 17 04:01:28 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JUL.2002 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Randy Elzinga" <frisiancow at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.07.16 (10) [E]

Ron wrote:

>Can any of you tell me what the meaning of the Drenthe (Drents) Lowlands
>Saxon word _pong_ is?  I found it in the phrase _een pong vol dreumen_
>"a {pong} full of dreams".  Might it be a word for 'head'?

Hi Ron, Lowlanders,

This looks an awful lot like the WFrisian word 'ponge' meaning 'little
pouch, little purse'.  'A little pouch full of dreams'?  Maybe.

Randy Elzinga.
frisiancow at hotmail.com

----------

"Can any of you tell me what the meaning of the Drenthe (Drents)
Lowlands
Saxon word _pong_ is?  I found it in the phrase _een pong vol dreumen_
"a {pong} full of dreams".  Might it be a word for 'head'?"

So here goes my answer :

I don't think so Ron, a "pong" is a word that is both in Groningen and
Friesland used for a "a pouch, a purse". It has a cognate in Old
Norwegian
"pungr", meaning "bag".

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Thank you so much for the prompt help, Randy and Luc!

Now that you have told me so, it's easy for me to say, "Ah, that
corresponds to _pung(e)_ in Lowlands Saxon (Low German) dialects of
Eastern Friesland and Mecklenburg!"  One doesn't alway connect the dots
right away, does one?

So the meaning is "a bag full of dreams" or "a bagful of dreams."