LL-L "Language policies" 2002.07.24 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 25 00:23:39 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JUL.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language policies" 2002.07.24 (02) [E]

I couldn't get into the reference Howard supplied.  By the sound of it,
though, I can guess someone is snobbishly putting down a language which
doesn't conform to his ideal of what a language should be, and therefore
censures it (and by implication its speakers) to some dark recess of
semi-literacy.

A great thing about this discussion group is that when speaks of Scots
or Brabantish or one the regional Flemish tongues, for example, that
tongue (I'm trying to avoid both "language" and "dialect") is treated
SERIOUSLY and with DIGNITY.  There are no "bad" languages or dialects.
Those that explicate or imply that there are such only shew the
ignorance that snobbishness and egotism tend to engender.