LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.07.31 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 31 15:11:12 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 31.JUL.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "botas(club)" <botas at club-internet.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.07.24 (08) [E]

> From: erek gass <egass at caribline.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.07.24 (03) [E]
>
> I'm not quite sure how this discussion group got off into Finnish.  I do
> believe we should note that Finnish (and its sister languages and
> peoples, Estonian and the now near extinct but we hope reviving
> Livonian) have had a LONG contact and co-habitation with their IE
> neighbours and it shews.  I'm working from memory here in the office
> (that is, I don't have the benefit my dictionaries as easy references),
> but, to cite an example (one of many) the Swedish word "strand" (=
> English "shore") appears in Finnish as "ranta" (which conforms to
> Finnish phonological rules).  Before overpresuming some proto-everything
> language, it may behoove us to compare Finnish to more isolated members
> of the same UA grouping and see if they are some path to this
> hypothetical prehistoric never-to-be-heard proto-master tongue.

I didn't mean to say that the words for "owl" being similar in Saxon and
Mongolian proves anything, but when there are resembling STRUCTURES
(such as
conjugation tables), it might point to something. Is anyone in a
position to
shed light on the conjugation in other, more eastern, uralic languages?
Mike Wintzer