LL-L "Phonology" 2002.06.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 14:38:59 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2002.06.05 (05) [E]

Frank wrote:

> In my Flanders region I would spell
> peird (ei like in French è) peirdje (also: perdje- perdjie)

This spelling is not uncommon in Zeeland
as well. It stands for the exact same pronoun-
ciation as the _ae_ that is most commonly
used in Zeeland. So:

aerappel = eirappel
paerd = peird
aerde = aerde
waereld / wèreld = weireld

But:

waerme <-> warme
aerme <-> aorme

Ron wrote:

"Either I misunderstood you or you have missed my point.  I did *not*
assume that what in Zeelandic you write <aer> is the same sound as that
in Low Saxon (Low German) <ar>.  In fact, its exact pronunciation is
irrelevant to the discussion; relevant is only that you perceive it as
different.

What I am talking about is not phonetic script (which is to be used for
scientific purposes) but normal orthography based on phonemes (i.e.,
*underlying* phones, as opposed to phonologically produced allophones on
the phonetic surface).  My hypothesis was (and still is) that this
written <ae> before /r/ is really an allophone of the phoneme /a/; i.e.,
it is pronounced "colored" by the following /r/."

You're absolutely correct. I think I didn't
take enough time to read your posting
thoroughly enough. That's propbably because
I always try to read all postings during a
coffee-break from work ;-)

Although in most Zeelandic dialects, there is
no real opposition between the pronounciation
of <ae> before r and <ae> in other positions,
the dialects of Zeeland Flanders and Zuid-Beve-
land show that your assumption is right.
Taking these dialects and the dialect of Walcheren
as an example:

Walcheren - Z-Beveland - Z-Flanders - Dutch
straete - streate - straote - straat
vraege - vreagen - vraogn - vragen
aerm - aerm - aerm - arm
Gentenaer - Gentenaer - Gentenaer - Gentenaar

but there are some exceptions:

baerd - baerd - baord - baard*
mae - mae - mao - maar
dea (!) - dea (!) - dao - daar**
wea (!) - wea (!) - wao - waar**
maerte - maerte - maorte - maart
(frinzen) - aorebezems - (frenzn) - aardbeien

*Perhaps this is because 'baard' originally
had a short 'a': _bard_.

**Note that _dea_ and _wea_ (or _dì_ and
_wì_) are the only words in the Walcheren
dialect I can think of that have _ea_

Regards,

Marco