LL-L "Grammar" 2002.06.06 (02) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 14:40:55 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.JUN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Andy \(Scots-Online\)" <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: Grammar [E/S]

John M. Tait wrote:
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.05.29 (01) [E]

>Just to drop a wild card in here, can anyone explain the North East
>Scots form _div_, which is used only as an auxiliary verb, distinct from
>_dae_ (pronounced 'dee' in the North East, and which should, strictly
>speaking, be spelt <dui>) which is used with the other meaning of Eng.
>'do'. For example, you can say 'fit div ee dee wi 'is?' (What do you do
>with this?) but not 'fit dee ee div wi 'is'?. Scots dictionaries refer
>to _div_ as 'emphatic and interrogative', but in my experience of
>'broad' North East Doric, 'div' and 'dee' are mutually exclusive (I have
>heard only young urban speakers using 'dee' as an auxiliary verb) and I
>suspect that the lexicographical perception of a connotation of emphasis
>comes from areas where the verb form is dying out - as it appears to
>have done in most parts of Scotland, although it is also used in
>Geordie. (On the other hand, it may be that use of auxiliary _do_ is
>usually emphatic or interrogative anyway, even in English, and that this
>is a roundabout non-technical way of saying that _div_ is a
>modal/auxiliary form.)

Gaun bi the SND _div_ is uised emphatic. The 'v' haes come aboot bi
analogy wi _hiv_ the empahtic furm o _hae_.
Grant & Dixon 1921 says _div_ is interrogative an for ordinar emphatic.
As tae the Geordie furm the EDD gies _div_  is uised whan the wird is
afore a vouel or a mute _h_. Afore a consonant _de_ is uised.

Andy Eagle