LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.06.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 18:04:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.JUN.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "luc.hellinckx at pandora.be" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Slagen-Dragen-Vragen

Beste leeglanners,

In Brabantish the verb "slaan" does not exist...not with a meaning of
"to hit" nor with a meaning of "to succeed"...only "slagen" is used...I
tend to think the variety with no "g" in the middle is restricted to
coastal areas along the North Sea...especially because there
traditionally such a "g" is very lightly (more like an "h" or not at
all) pronounced.
We have :
slagen-sloeg-geslagen (or geslegen); meaning usually "to hit, to beat"
or "to slaughter (an animal)"
dragen-droeg-gedragen (or gedregen); meaning usually "to carry, to bear"
vragen-vroeg-gevraagd ; meaning usually "to ask"
It would surprise me very much if ever the verb "slaan" was used in an
older version of Brabantish, but as I told you before, I don't have my
books with me here in Bangkok, so please correct me if I'm wrong...
If we want to express the fact that somebody has succeeded in something,
or has passed a test (in standard Dutch : "geslaagd") we'd say :
"A est er deu" in Brabantish, litterally "Hij is er door" in Dutch. I
can't think immediately of a specific verb expressing the (rather
abstract) meaning of "slagen" (D), "to succeed" (E)...unless "lukken"
maybe but that usually refers to objects, not so much to people.
Greetings...

Luc Hellinckx