LL-L "Resources" 2002.06.12 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 21:58:41 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.JUN.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Dear Lowlanders,

Kudos to Gary Taylor, one of our subscribers, who has taken the first
step toward an online "blurb" collection about Lowlands language
varieties.  He has written a brief introduction to Estuary English, a
dialect of England English.  I find it very interesting and have asked
Gary if I could share it with you before it ends up in an online
collection (whenever that will be), and Gary kindly agreed to that.
Please find a copy further below.

Gary and other British-savvy Lowlanders, the description sounds pretty
much like the dialect of several people I have heard talk "on the
tellie" lately.  Would the English TV cook Jamie Oliver (of "The Naked
Chef" and "Oliver's Twist" fame) be one of those speakers?

Lowlanders, please note that Gary wrote his intro without knowing what
format to use.  I think he did a great job.

Personally, I favor the following setup:

1 Overall language introductions should be concise, briefly outlining
  origin (including classification), history, spread, varieties,
  speakers, media use (incl. literature), and administrative and
  educational status.  (It would be good to use subheadings.)
  Altogether, an introduction should probably not exceed four
  word-processed pages and could be as brief as a quarter of a page.

2 Introductions to specific dialects or dialect groups (to which we
  will link off the respective overall language introductions) can be
  in any format.  I would like to see them as small essay-type
  descriptions that are written in the authors' preferred formats
  and styles.  I do not think that uniformity is necessary.  Gary's
  format and style would be one of many possibilities.

Gary and I agree that his introduction to Estuary English will serve as
type 2, linked to from the general introduction page for English.
Please feel free to add other such descriptions -- the more the
merrier.  (English dialects do not have to be only those used in England
but can be any type of English anywhere in the world.)

If you, either singly or in groups, write 1- or 2-type introductions
(about *any* Lowlands language varieties or groups), you might like but
are not obligated to post final draft versions to the List (either
directly or via me) to invite some feedback/input from others before
they are published on the web.

If you do not feel confident writing in English you could either write
your introduction in your own language or in a language in which you
feel more confident, and someone will translate it.  (These do not have
to be Lowlands languages.)  In that case the original version and the
English translation will be posted, hopefully later other translations
as well.  If you do not feel too sure about your English proficiency but
wish to write in English anyway, someone will proofread your draft, and
only the polished version will be posted on the web.

The names of the authors will appear with their works.  By submitting
your "blurbs" you will be considered agreeing to have them posted on the
web.

Please remember that no language variety ought to and will be viewed as
insignificant or uninteresting, and perceived qualities such as
"unsophisticated" or "low-class" are totally irrelevant, though
sociolinguistic aspects such as commonly held perceptions of levels of
prestige may and perhaps should be mentioned in the introductions.

Again, thanks to Gary Taylor for taking the lead so admirably ably!

***

ESTUARY ENGLISH

by Gary Taylor

Estuary English, or Popular London English, is the form of English as
spoken in London and the South East of England and is currently gaining
some ground as a new 'standard' for England English being used by many
newsreporters, politicians and prominent people. The accent is largely
based on London Cockney English with the most 'frowned upon' features
taken out. As standard England English (RP) developed from a triangle
between London, Oxford and Cambridge, many of the dialect words of this
area were incorporated into the standard. This has the result that
Estuary doesn't have many unique local dialect words, however the accent
often differs from RP. Below are some of the main differences:

* Glottaling. This refers to changing a t in syllable final position
into a glottal stop.  For example " get " > " ge' " (In Cockney this is
extended to t between vowels [be'er instead of better])

* l-vocalisation. This refers to the changing of l before a consonant,
or l in phrase final position to a sound similar to 'w' or 'u'.  For
example " milk " > " mi-wk " " hell " > " he-w " but " hell and back "
hell am back " (l pronounced due to the following a) l-vocalisation
leads to lots of words collapsing to sound the same when not followed by
a vowel. For example " fool " " full " and " fall " are all pronounced
identically as " fu-w " but before vowels they are pronounced as in RP.
"fail" and "foul" are pronounced "fow" (to rhyme with "now") when not
followed by a vowel, but the same as RP with a vowel.

* The 'or' split. This refers to the sound 'or' of RP as in 'bought' and
'door' (note, the r in this position is not pronounced in RP English so
the sound is the same for both). In Estuary this RP 'or' has split
depending on the position. If the base word has this sound and then a
consonant then in Estuary it is pronounced 'u-w'. If there is no
consonant then it is pronounced 'or' as in RP.  Thus 'door' is
pronounced as in RP, whereas 'corn' is pronounced 'cu-wn'. This leads to
interesting differences in pronunciation between 'bored' and 'board'
(identical in RP). 'bored' is based on the word 'bore' so is pronounced
as in RP 'bord', however 'board' being followed by a consonant is
pronounced 'bu-wd' (which is identical with Estuary 'bald'!).

* Palatalisations. When a t is followed by a u (yu) or an r it has the
pronunciation of ch. The combination 'stu' and 'str' are pronounced
'shchu' and 'shchr' respectively For example " Tuesday " = " Choozdi " "
train " = " chrain " " stupid " = " shchupid " " string " = " shchring "

* Linking letters. Estuary has many linking letters, which although
quite common in England English, are less common in the other
Englishes.  Linking y : 'me and you' = 'meyan yu' 'high up' = 'hiyupp'
'AAA' = 'AyAyA' Linking w : 'you and me' = 'yuwan me' 'do it again' =
'dowi' agen' Linking r : 'Canada is' = 'Canadariz' 'drawing' = 'drorin'

I howp youv injoid this littuw look a' Eshchry Ingglish