LL-L "Phonology" 2002.06.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 14:47:35 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.JUN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2002.06.12 (05) [E]

14:58 12-6-2002 -0700, Lowlands-L:
Gary Taylor, about Estuary English:

>* l-vocalisation. This refers to the changing of l before a consonant,
>or l in phrase final position to a sound similar to 'w' or 'u'.  For
>example " milk " > " mi-wk " " hell " > " he-w " but " hell and back "
>hell am back " (l pronounced due to the following a).

I sometimes wonder if there could be some historic link in the
development of such accents across he North Sea, because the l in
Dutch is so similar: in the "standard" accent in is slightly dark in
exactly the same positions as in English RP, but the stronger
darkening a.k.a. vocalisation as described above also occurs in
accents in the West of the Netherlands, especially the Hague, but
also Rotterdam, Amsterdam etc.
So the verbs "vernieuwen" and "vernielen" (renew; demolish, destroy)
sound very different, but the past participles "verniewd" and
"vernield" have almost identical pronunciation.

There are also strong similarities (and small differences) between
oo-sounds (as in English boat, Dutch boot) in RP and Estuary, and in
Rotterdam and the Hague city accents. A similar sound occurs in
Breda (Brabant). Also in Groningen accents of Dutch (influenced by
Low-Saxon?), Low-Saxon as heard on Radio Bremen, and in Lëtzeburgesch.
I don't say they're all the same, but they are a bit similar.

Of course acoustic similarity doesn't necessary betray geographical
proximity or historical links: the vocalised l is also found in
Brasil, which almost sounds as Brasíu there.
--
Ruud Harmsen <rh at rudhar.com>
Last update 12 June 2002 http://rudhar.com/index/whatsnew.htm