LL-L "Names" 2002.06.14 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 17:33:21 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JUN.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "David Elsworth" <david_elsworth at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.06.12 (04) [E]

Dear Ron,

Thank you for the very enlightening description of celtic words used to
describe the english. From my own studeis of the Welsh language, I have
just
realised that 'saesneg' is the welsh adjective meaning 'english,' which
is
quite similar to the other celtic variations, especially the Breton word
,"saozneg," used to describe the English language.

Regards,
David Elsworth.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

You are welcome, David.

Isn't it interesting and telling that Welsh has the adjective _saesneg_
("Saxon") for 'English' but refers to England by the name _Lloegr_,
assumedly a name for the region east of today's Wales that goes back to
before the Saxon take-over?  So in Welsh the neighboring region seems to
have retained its old name, and _saesneg_ ("Saxon") is used to refer to
the descendants of the invaders that now live there.

Lowlanders,

On a different note, can any of you tell me what the Dutch equivalent of
the Zeelandic (Zeêuws) place name "Kwaèdamme" is?

Thanks and regards,