LL-L "Names" 2002.06.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 17:13:23 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.JUN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 Web Site: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/>
 Rules: <http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/lowlands/rules.html>

From: "Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann" <Friedrich-Wilhelm.Neumann at epost.de>
Subject: LL-L "Nmes" 2002. 06. 14 (04)

Hi, Marco, Gabriele, Ron,

in order of Ron:

evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.06.14 (03) [E]

Ron asked:

> Lowlanders,
>
> On a different note, can any of you tell me what the Dutch equivalent of
> the Zeelandic (Zeêuws) place name "Kwaèdamme" is?

Kwaèdamme is Kwadendamme, a small village some 10 km's south of Goes.

Marco

Marco,

could it be a (Upper german) "Querdamm", what we call in Low Saxon a
"Kajedeich" ( a dyke lying tansversally to the coastal line)? Because-
in
Low german we prefer top say "dwars" for "transverse", but still the
word
"dweer" is in use.
Regards
Fiete

From: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.06.14 (02) [E/LS]

>But "duiven" is the Dutch word for pigeons or doves - I should say that
>at
>least some of these place names must refer to birds, then! The same
>could be true for the Lower Saxon names, especially "Duvennest" (which I
>would take to mean "dove's nest"). Correct me if I'm wrong...
>
>Groetjes,
>Gabriele [Kahn]

Hi, Gabrielle,
in Northern Germany, perhaps identic with the region of Low Saxon
languages,
I frequently found the word "doov" (Upper German: "taub") (English:
"deaf")
for those parts of a river or even lake which formerly were as well
river as
the nowadays course. But in changing times they became to be just
shallowes
with perhaps water coming in from the one, but never going out to the
other
side. (See below Ron and Helge Tietz)

Special Regards

Fiete.

----------

From: globalmoose at t-online.de (Global Moose Translations)
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2002.06.14 (05) [E/LS]

>GRIN< - it's so good to come back to "Lowlands" after all these years, only
to find that Our Ron is still fighting the good fight to have his name
spelled correctly! :-)

Am I right in assuming, then, that the currently predominate meaning of
"leeg" is related to the Dutch "lelijk", which meens "ugly"?

Regards,
Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Gabriele:

> >GRIN< - it's so good to come back to "Lowlands" after all these years, > only
> to find that Our Ron is still fighting the good fight to have his name
> spelled correctly! :-)

That's all right, Gabriele.  I'm used to it.  People want to make it
look as German as possible.  Someone I know writes it "Rheinhardt" and
won't stop it, saying it feels more satisfying.  Who am I to deny him
this little pleasure?

> Am I right in assuming, then, that the currently predominate meaning of
> "leeg" is related to the Dutch "lelijk", which meens "ugly"?

As far as I know, _leeg_ ([lE.IC], which should really be spelled _leyg_
or _leig_) is a cognate of Dutch _laag_, English _low_, etc.  It's
predominant meaning now is 'bad' or 'inferior', can be translated from
German _schlecht_ in most contexts, including "feeling bad," "looking
bad," etc.  In most contexts I would translate 'ugly' (Dutch _lelijk_)
as Low Saxon (Low German) _wanschapen_ ['va.nSQ:pm=].