LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.06.20 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 20 22:08:33 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.JUN.2002 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Andy Eagle" <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.06.20 (03) [E]

Glenn Simpson wrote:
> Subject: Origins of Anglian-Northumbrian language
>
> Dear all
>
> Ron suggested I ask the list which of the lowland languages was most
> closely aligned to Anglian-Northumbrian, i.e. the language spoken in the
> North East English counties of Northumberland and Durham (similar to
> Scots). I had assumed it was one of the Frisian dialects but this may
> not
> be the case. History tell us that Northumbrian is supposedly derived
> from
> language of the Angles. I wonder to which modern language / ethnic group
> the Angles are most closely related to on the continent? And from which
> part of Low Countries did the Angles come from? There is a debate in my
> region over whether the Anglian influence on the Northumbrian language
> is
> really that strong.

Surely the most closely related language is Scots?

Taken from http://www.scots-online.org/grammar/whits.htm

"These people were the descendants of the Angles who had settled in the
north of England. The Saxons on the other hand tended to settle in the
south. The (Anglo-Saxon) Dialect spoken by the Angles later became
infused
with a large amount of Norse. This was brought in by Viking incursions
and
settlements in Northumbria. This language called Inglis was spoken
between
the river Humber in the south and the river Forth in the north."

These (Anglos) folk came from around Denmark and the mouth of the River
Elbe / Elve between the 4th and 6th centuries AD.

Also see  http://www.lallans.co.uk/eng.html

The sources are from the Scots point of view but are relevant in that
Scots
and Northumbrian share a common ancestor.

Andy Eagle

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Andy wrote (above):

> These (Anglos) folk came from around Denmark and the mouth of the
> River Elbe / Elve between the 4th and 6th centuries AD.

There is still a region (Low Saxon _Landschupp_, German _Landschaft_
"landscape") called _Angeln_ (= Anglia) in Northern Germany.  Its
boundaries roughly coincide with a triangle at whose points are the
cities Flensborg/Flensburg, Slesvig/Schleswig and Kappeln, which can
also be described as situated between Flensborg/Flensburg (on the Danish
border), River Slie/Schlei and the Baltic Sea coast.  In other words,
Anglia is situated much farther north than the mouth of River
Elv'/Elbe/Laba, which was the home of Saxons and, in at least two
immigration waves along the North Sea coast, Frisians.  My mental
picture has always been that the Jutes (Euts, who came to be concquered
and absorbed by the Danes) lived in the north (today's Jutland,
Denmark), the Angles just south of them (see above), and the Saxons
south of the Angles, gradually spreading southward from Northern Saxony
(North Albingiers north of River Elbe) in a fan-like fashion and
creating various Saxon tribes (Engers south, Westphalians southwest,
Eastphalians southeast, still representing Low Saxon (Low German)
dialect groups, former Engria being a transitional area between the two
"...phalias").  The Angels then came under Saxon domination in the
region Vegria (Wegrien).

More information (in German):
http://www.marschundfoerde.de/artikel/angeln.html
http://www.welt.de/daten/2001/05/11/0511rw252787.htx
http://www.murzi.de/Landschaft_Angeln/landschaft_angeln.html

Also the maps here (in German and Dutch):
http://home.wxs.nl/~marcel.tettero/Sachsen.html
http://www.tpo.de/deutsch/ostfalen.htm

However, lately people have been saying that other tribes, including
Franconian and Rhenish ones, participated in the Germanic colonization
of Britain (assumedly from the Frisian-speaking coast), and most of them
do not mention the Frisians, which seems odd considering that English is
traditionally assigned to an "Anglo-Frisian" sub-branch of West
Germanic, but the Germanic settlers in Britain referred to themselves as
Saxons and Angles.  How can the close relationship between English (and
Scots and Northumbrian) and Frisian be reconciled with the ethnonyms,
and why are Frisians hardly ever mentioned?  Let's be wild and speculate
that those who strongly Frisianized the Early English language were
mostly Frisian women (attached to predominantly male Saxons, Angels and
Jutes en route from their native places to Britain).  Has any of this
ever been explored?