LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.06.25 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 25 22:43:36 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUN.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Language varieties"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language varieties
>
> Germanic, but the Germanic settlers in Britain referred to themselves as
> Saxons and Angles.  How can the close relationship between English (and
> Scots and Northumbrian) and Frisian be reconciled with the ethnonyms,
> and why are Frisians hardly ever mentioned?  Let's be wild and speculate
> that those who strongly Frisianized the Early English language were
> mostly Frisian women (attached to predominantly male Saxons, Angels and
> Jutes en route from their native places to Britain).  Has any of this
> ever been explored?

Isn't it possible that the Angles and Saxons were the ruling
classes and yet Frisian became the most influential language
in Britain? Perhaps different kingdoms had communication
difficulties and Frisian was the lingua franca for diplomacy?
We've seen how in the case of Shetlandic, Cornish and Scots a
language that's perceived as more respectable or useful (maybe
even just "trendy") can become the language of a new generation,
especially in populous areas.

Another possibility (not necessarily mutually excusive with the
above), is that once Germanic kingdoms were established in Britain,
Frisians came over to fill some sort of skills vacuum as tradesmen
and suchlike, the native Brythonic trades not offering the sort of
things the Anglo-Saxon rulers were accustomed to? Then some sort of
Frisian pidgin might develop, which became the basis of a somewhat
more united Germanic language.

Perhaps Frisians were ever-present but simply aren't mentioned in
British history because they didn't set up a kingdom there.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.