LL-L "Technical" 2002.06.27 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 00:25:27 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.JUN.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Technical

Lowlanders,

I think I just figured out ("Duh!") why we have this problem with Holger
Weigelt's "special" characters.  I always get gobbledigook in place of
his "special" characters, and many of you may too.  However, they show
up just fine in the display of our archive
(http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html).  The reason
seems to be that the archive display is now set to "Unicode" as the
default.  Our "special" characters show up as gobbledigook there until
we change the browser display to "Western," and then Holger's are
gobbledigook.  I assume that Holger has set his mailing program to
Unicode (being the only one in synch with them?), and this is why.

I wanted to do a test to see if you or most of you would have problems
if I switched my (Netscape) mailing interface to Unicode.  Unicode *is*
one of my options, but whenever I set it to Unicode it defaults back to
"Western." Darn! Why?!

Of course, since LINGUIST sets their display to Unicode and seems to
advocate it (understandably so), and I think we should support that
(allowing for more "special" characters to be used, including - hey! -
IPA), it would be really neat if we *all* switched to it (if possible).
But what would this do to the rest of our (non-Lowlandic) correspondence
(with people who do not use Unicode)?

Might a general Unicode mode even enable Sandy Fleming to see my
"special" characters?  Miracles do happen.

Any inside, advice, wisdom, solution, anyone?

Thanks!