LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.06.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 15:18:29 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JUN.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.06.27 (01) [E]

A chairde,

Gary and Ron discuss the use of [v] and [f]
overpowering original /th/. This is something in
England that has spread exponentially, largely because
of the London-based media. It is now very common to
hear younger Nottingham English speakers (of which I
am one) saying "wotch yuh maaf" for "wotch yuh maath"
(watch your mouth). "th" rather than "dh" seems to be
more easily affected.

The same goes for the shift from terminal [l] to a [w]
sound, although Nottingham in particular received a
large wave of Polish migration after the war and I
have often wondered if this change was brought about
as a result.

I haven't seen much evidence of Australians confusing
/th/ with [v] or [f], Ron. My fiancee doesn't do it,
and she's moved between New South Wales, Tasmania and
latterly Western Australia her whole life. I never
seen any examples of it in Kalgoorlie where I live,
although the town is considered quite "ocker Aussie"
(i.e., retaining unaffected pronunciations) in its
dialect. I haven't heard it in Perth when I visit that
city once every couple of months either. There is a
huge dialect difference between Western Australia and
the eastern states (which is now being diluted due to
television).

Having said all that, my fiancee's cousin's husband is
a Sydney man of Lebanese birth, and he does regularly
substitute [v] and [f] for /th/ phonemes. Apparently
this has formed a whole new dialect in the Sydney area
since the late 1970s. He is immensely proud of this as
it marks him out as a "Leb" and Sydneysider. More
power to him!

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Chris.

----------

From: Criostoir O Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

A chairde,

You're right, Marco, I did entirely leave Frisian off
my "relatives of Nottingham English" list - West
Frisian at least. I didn't want to be mocked in case I
had made a huge assuming mistake. One of my best
friends is Frisian and I was surprised at first how
much Frisian I could understand, and how a lot of the
grammar made a lot of sense to me, even if it was
archaic-sounding (mind you, the same could be said of
Norwegian when I first heard it). Most northern
English variants used to have (and some still do) a
markedly different grammar to standard English,
precisely because it's Ingvaeonic in origin. The best
example I can think of immediately is "Do I not like
that!" for "I don't like that!" To a northerner this
makes complete sense; to a southerner it is of course
a completely different language, or at least sounds
like a rhetorical question.

Unfortunately for northern English, most of this
grammar is giving way to "standard English" forms.

As for "rigg" - it isn't in Nottingham English. The
word for back is "bakk" (with /kk/ representing, I
think, a [q] sound). I'm not too sure about parts of
the body in Nottingham English. I have spent a lot of
my life away from Nottingham and a lot of the terms I
heard my stepfather's father and other elderly people
using I would have considered "quaint" and not used.
About the only ones I still use are "tab" (ear) and
"gob" (mouth; probably a loan from Irish anyway).

That's precisely the problem with Nottingham English.
It is being "quainted" out of existence. It is bizarre
to see children talking in true Nottingham English
(grammar, vocabulary and all) only when they're
messing around with each other (and particularly to
younger children) - as if it's a mood language. Most
of the rest of the time they speak standard English
with minimal Nottingham English grammatical
interference but with strong Nottingham English
phonology.

By the way, Marco - does Frisian or Zeelandic have the
grammatical possibility "I ain't not never done nowt"
(I didn't do it [HEAVILY EMPHATIC]) that we do in
Nottingham English? (Although I should write it as "A
yenn not nevuh dunn noewt" to be faithful to the
phonology.)

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Chris.