LL-L "Help needed" 2002.02.28 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 04:24:00 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.FEB.2002 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Help needed

Dear Lowlanders,

I wonder if any of you can help me find the English and/or German
equivalent words, if there are any, of the Low Saxon (Low German) word
_Dracht_ as shown below as meaning No. 5.  Low Saxon _Dracht_ [drax(t)]
and Dutch _dracht_ would be more appropriately (i.e., etymologically
based) written _Dragt_ (cf. Afrikaans _drag_), since they are clearly
derived from the verb (/draag-/) _dragen_ 'to carry', 'to wear', which
in most North Saxon is umlauted: _dregen_ ~ _drägen_ ['dre:gN=].

Low Saxon (Low German):
Dracht (feminine, plural _Drachten_):
(1) burden, load
(2) accumulated amount (e.g., honey gathered by bees)
(3) litter (of animals)
(4) beating (measure word; cf. German _eine Tracht Prügel_ 'a beating')
(5) wooden bar carried across one's shoulders (usually carved to conform
    to neck and shoulders) at both ends of which heavy items can be hung
    for transport (usually from hooks and/or ropes, often pails for
water
    or milk
(6) two pails full (measure word)
(7) costume, outfit (nowadays usually referring to traditional, regional
    or ethnic garb; cf. German _Tracht_)

As far as I know, Dutch _dracht_ and Afrikaans _drag_ have meanings 1, 3
and 7, but I would not be surprised if they conveyed the other meanings
as well.

In German and English I can only describe the item that _Dracht_ denotes
under 5 above.  (It is the European equivalent of the East Asian
carrying pole, usually made from bamboo.)  Are there real words for it
(also in other Lowlands languages)?  Surely, these implements used to be
used outside Northern Germany and the Low Countries as well, also on the
British Isles.

If there are several of you who cannot picture this implement, I could
temporarily post one or two pictures of it on the Web.

Anyway, thanks in advance!