LL-L "Help needed" 2002.03.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 1 18:36:44 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 01.MAR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.03.01 (01) [E/LS]

"Dracht" in Westflemish is not only used for animals as far as pregnancy is
concerned, but also for people!

regards!

denis dujardin
westflanders.

----------

From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>

At 08:06 AM 03/01/02 -0800, Pat Reynolds wrote:
>This is a yoke. It's primary meaning is the device to join up two
>animals to draw a plough or vehicle (a piece of wood with curves to take
>in the animal's necks, and a chain going back to the plough or vehicle).
>The meaning 'frame used by a person to carry a pair of buckets' is not
>recorded until about 1618 - which seems rather late.
>
>I can ask archaeologists about their distribution over time and space,
>if this would help.

The English word <yoke> has very deep roots, being cognate with Sanskrit
verb <yuj> "to join together" from whence the word Yoga is derived.

>I found interesting to read the Oxford English Dictionary entry on
>'draw' (over 60 meanings) and the related  'draught', as there seem to
>be many examples of parallel development of meaning.

Quite often we see this word spelled "draft", as one submission had
it.  Although I can hear the incoming shell from Ron, this is one good
reason why English spelling should not be reformed, as we can see the roots
of the word better in the spelling "draught".

Ed Alexander