LL-L "Help needeed" 2002.03.02 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 3 00:02:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAR.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Frans Buter" <fransbuter at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.03.02 (01) [D/E]

Dear Lowlanders,

Another meaning of "dracht":

zwangerschap (D) = pregnancy (E)

Drachtig zijn (D) = being pregnant (E)

Used in relation to animal-pregnancy

Frans Buter

----------

From: "Jan Strunk" <strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.03.01 (05) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

Although I'm really convinced that there is (also) a different
German word for the pail-bearing device than "Joch".
So far I've only found "Joch" everywhere:
in dictionnaries, very old texts, new texts and the internet.

Here are two links for people who want to see such a device:

http://www.slowfood-hamburg.de/geschichten/handmelkerei.php

http://www.holz-liebe.de/shop/shop_main.aspbereich=produkt&artnr=1916&sort=

I think I'm going to look into the Hoops, i.e. Reallexikon der
germanischen
Altertumskunde for clarification.
But it might as well be that I'm the word I can't recall at the moment
is
something totally irrelevant!?

Guedgaon,

Jan Strunk
strunk at linguistics.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

----------

From: "Jorge Potter" <jorgepot at caribe.net>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.02.28 (09) [E]

Dear Ron,

A "yoke" permits one to carry amazing loads comfortably, but I haven't
seen
one for 50 years. It was used mostly for water, but when I watered
animals
on the farm I had to carry big pails in my two hands. My hands and
fingers
ached.

"Yoke" is also what is used to attached to the horns of a team of oxen
instead of pulling from a collar as with horse. This "yoke" is called
"yunta" in Spanish. We also call "yoke" the piece that looks like a
whiffletree and hangs from the collars of a team of horses to hold up
the
tongue of whatever they are drawing and help steer it.

"Yoke" and "yunta" come form IE yeug to join, as does the Sanscrit
"yoga."

Jorge Potter