LL-L "Orthography" 2002.03.03 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 00:28:09 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.MAR.2002 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Orthography"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Orthography
>
> This is so weird, considering that I can read your and everyone else's.
> Anyway, instead of guessing you ought to check the posting in the
> archive:
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html
> Hopefully you will see the diacritics there or tinker with the decoding
> modes until you can.

I can't see them there either - I'll try those modes!

I also get this problem when Roger Thijs mails me - so it
may be something your and his mailers have in common. It
never seems to happen with anyone else, as far as I can
remember.

> What you've done in the meantime (above) is pretty much the way I would
> have gone myself, integrating English-type and traditional graphemes.
> I, as a non-Scots speaker, still feel fairly confident that I could read
> it out loud and would be understood by a Scots speaker.

That's a strange thing I noticed: the heavily diacritical
version is particularly easy to read - such a pity that
it's harder to type! If it could be typed easily then I'd
much prefer it to the diacritic-free version.

> > <a> /a:/ and /Q:/ (this merge aids writing, I think
> >                    - or /Q/ could be written <au>)
>
> I would definitely distinguish them unless they are allophones -- so <a>

Probably a good idea, but they almost are allophones in my
dialect, so I'll have to find out elsewhere how to spell
these words for a more general type of Scots (I believe it's
explained properly in some of John's and Andy's submissions
from earlier this year).

> > <eukh> /jux/, /jVx/ (diaphonemic)
> > <euk> /juk/, /jVk/ (diaphonemic)

> opinion)?

Well, I was just trying the traditional spellings where
possible, hence <eu> as in neuk, sheuch, deuk &c. I think
I'll try some versions of the macro with non-traditional
substitutions and see if anything better comes out. I'm
not particularly happy with the traditional <ou> and <ow>
either, in this sort of orthography. Perhaps <uu> and <ou>
respectively would be better. Or perhaps not! Diacritics
are still tempting!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he