LL-L "Material culture" 2002.03.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 4 16:37:34 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Jorge Potter" <jorgepot at caribe.net>
Subject: LL-L "Help needed" 2002.02.28 (09) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

Sorry I jumped to confusions on "yoke." First of all, Spanish "yunta" is
pair or team of oxen, mules or horses and not a yoke. "Yoke" is "yugo."

Secondly, neither the big dictionary of the Royal Spanish Academy nor
Martín Alonso's three volume "Enciclopedia del idioma" admit that "yugo"
can be used with a man. The Academy doesn't give quotes or dates, but
Alonso gives 1227 as the year of the first use of "yugo" (as an
ox-yoke.)

Thirdly in the King James Version of the Bible there are 57 uses of
"yoke,"
of which 12 refer to ox-yokes and 45 to man-yokes. Most of the 12 in the
Spanish Bible (Casiodoro de Reina, 1569) are given as "yunta," that is,
meaning the team of animals. When "yugo" was used, it referred to the
piece
of wood joining the animals. So we know "yugo" as a man-yoke was in use
by
1569, even if don Martín and the Academy don't.

The best known use of "yoke" in the King James (1611) is Matthew
11:28ff:

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden and I will give you
rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in
heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and
my
burden is light."

Nevertheless, Jesus' yoke image implies you  have to pull at least your
own
weight.

Christians intolerant of other Christians' slightly more liberal views
may
shun the latter on the basis of 2Corinthians 6:14. They refer to it as
the
"unequal yoke."

"Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath
righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with
darkness?"

Incidentally Martin Luther (New Testament 1534, Old Testament 1522) used
"Joch" for an ox-yoke and a man-yoke and for a team of oxen in his  High
German version (most popular of all times).

As ever, from Puerto Rico,

Jorge Potter

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Material culture

Thanks for sharing the research, Jorge.

> "... For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

This would be interesting to translate into Low Saxon (Low German),
because both "yoke" and "burden" (carried by humans) could be translated
as _Dracht_.  However, I would probably translate it thusly:

... Mien DRACHT is ööd' to dregen, un mien LAST is licht.
("... It is easy/comfortable to bear my YOKE (for humans), and my BURDEN
is light.")

In _Plattdüütsch Lektionar_ (Heinrich Kröger, ed., Missionshandlung
Hermannsburg, 1981), which uses a variety of translators and dialects,
it is given in Eastern Friesland Low Saxon as ...

... Mien JÜCK sitt good up, un WAT IK UPLEGGEN DOO, dat draggt sük
licht.
("... My YOKE (for animals) sits/rest well, and WHAT I LOAD AS BURDEN is
easy to carry.)

I suppose that in this context _Jück_ would be appropriate, thus ...

... Mien JÜCK is ööd' to dregen, un mien LAST is licht.