LL-L "Scots" 2002.03.10 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 03:40:04 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at starmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Scots" 2002.02.28 (08) [E]

At 06:57 10/03/02, John M. Tait wrote:

>>It is also surprising - to me, at any rate - that people who do not
>>habitually speak Scots should consider that they have a right not only to
>>dominate Scots language institutions, but also to dismiss the efforts of
>>Scots speaking activists (vis. 'heid bangers', above) - a trick which they
>>effect by claiming, or implying, that they speak for the 'real' Scots
>>speakers - those who have no interest in their own language, and who
>>increasingly regard it as slang.

I basically agree with everything that John Tait wrote. A point
I'd add is that, when it suits them, the same people are equally
dismissive of real Scots speakers. For example, in the latter part
of last year the Scots Language Resource Centre issued a leaflet in
which elderly native Scots speakers were described as being
"impenetrable to all but the expert linguist". I could hardly believe
what I was seeing.

Goodwill to all,

Colin Wilson.