LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.10 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 03:57:53 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.MAR.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.10 (02) [D/E]
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.10 (02) [D/E]

Luc wrote:

> For some time now, there is a word that intreges me very much. It is
> about
> the word "stuite" or "stute" We use it for a slice of bread.
> F.i.: dunne stuitjes snijden
>       beuter op uw stuitjes doen
>       een vierstute (bread we eat around 4 o'clock)
>       vollaerdstute (koekebrood= bread prepared with milk)
> My question is:
> Do we find that word also in other regions of the lowland country's or
> is it just a typical word for West-Vlaanderen? I ask this because these
words
> do not exist in Dutsh.

Since Zeêuws/Zeelandic is very closely related to West-Flemish, it's no
suprise that the word 'stute' is used in Zeeland as well. We also know
the
word 'vierstute' in exactly the same meaning as Luc metioned it. Some
words
in Zeêuws:
- stutemaele: little cotton bag that contained the lunch (slices of
bread)
- beuterstute/stropiestute/sukerstute (etc.): slices of bread with
butter/syrup/sugar
- een stute mee broôd: dry bread (usually used a bit sarcastic; it's
litterally a slice of bread with bread; 'aerpels mee petaoten en aerpels
toe' can be complared with that: litt. potatoes with potatoes and
potatoes
to finish with; a modest meal)
- stutekappe: the end of a bread

What Luc calls 'vollaerdstuutn' or 'koekebroôd', we usually call
'klakkers'
(old bread prepared/'baked' in hot milk; 'wentelteefjes' in Dutch).

I believe stute, stuit, stuut and stoet are also used in the most
northern
part of the Dutch province of North-Holland, in Fryslân, Groningen and
Drenthe. Dr. J. de Vries says in his 'Etymologisch Woordenboek'
(Utrecht/Antwerpen 1964) that these words come from the middle Dutch
word
stût, which originally meant behind. De Vries states that the meaning
bread
or (later) slice of bread might have something to do with the form of
the
bread.

Is it true that in all areas where forms like stute/stuit/stuut/stoet
are
used, the meaning nowadays is explicitly a slice of bread in stead of a
whole bread? In Zeeland and West-Flanders this is the case:
broôd: bread
stute: slice of bread, roll or sandwich

Regards,

Marco