LL-L "Scots" 2002.03.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 16:51:27 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Ian James Parsley" <parsleyij at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Scots" 2002.03.10 (04) [E]

Of course, the ultimate offence is to refer to
Scots-speakers as 'Scots language *enthusiasts*', as
opposed, presumably, to the 'academic experts' who
know all about it even if they speak no Scots
themselves.

Mind, on one occasion I was publicly dismissed as a
mere 'collegianer' by the Ulster Scots 'experts'. The
fact none of those dismissing me as such has a
linguistic qualification or a foreign language between
them, and that I was and am in full-time employment
(therefore surely not a 'collegianer') is completely
beside the point!

The line about the distinction between 'activists' and
'speakers' is one I have talked about publicly since
the conference some list members were at in Belfast in
August 2000. But again, I'm only identifying the
*problem*, the *solution* is harder to come by!

All the best,

=====
------------------
Ian James Parsley
www.geocities.com/parsleyij
+44 (0)77 2095 1736
JOY - "Jesus, Others, You"

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Scots

Colin, Ian, John Magnus, Lowlanders,

I submit to you that misperceptions, disparagement and the like
typically go both ways, needlessly in my opinion.  The "And what would
*you* know?" reaction from native speakers to input from "experts" is in
my opinion just as non-constructive, just as much of an over-reaction
based on suspicion and cliquishness as is the same "question" directed
by linguists at native speakers.  I call it "native speaker arrogance"
vs "academic arrogance."  Both sides have something to offer.  You do
not always have to be a native speaker to work in research and problem
solving, as long as this is in collaboration with native speakers.
Ideally they would work *with* each other rather than against each
other, and ideally a generation of people would be "produced" that
combine both attributes.