LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.11 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 17:39:21 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAR.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Lowlanders,

Muriel wrote:

> This word is related to Dutch _stuit(je)_  meaning "coccyx" or, more
> generally, "behind" (the body-part, not the preposition) and to Old
> Norse
> _stu:tr_ (_u_ with accent aigu), meaning "stump". Originally, the word
> may
> thus have referred to a stumpy object.

Ah!  I believe then that it is related to German _Stutz(en)_ 'short,
stubby thing', oftentimes also 'stubby tail'; Middle High German
_stotze_ '(short) log', 'stem', 'chunk', _stutze_ '(stubby) beaker', and
the verb _stutzen_ 'to trim', 'to clip' (e.g., a tail).

I wonder if a _stoet(e)_ ~ _Stuten_ originally was a short, oblong bread
loaf, vs an originally round _brood_ 'bread'.

Frank:

> "Jao mien jong, wat zie in Holland brood neumt, dat
> neum wij stoet. Dat wust stoe toch wal?"

Incidentally, this passage in Drenthe Low Saxon would be very well
understood if heard by speakers of more easterly dialects in Germany.
It is only the orthography that would throw people off course.  I would
translate it into North Saxon thusly:

"Ja, mien Jung, wat se in Holland 'Brood' nöömt, dat nöömt wi 'Stuten'.
Dat wuss du doch wull?"

Transliterated into a Netherlands-type system:

"Jao, mien joeng, wat zei in Hollaand 'brood' neumt, dat neumt wie
'stoetn'. Dat woes doe doch woel?"

'Yes, son, the thing they call "bread" in Holland is what we call
"stoet." You surely knew that, didn't you?'