LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.11 (05) [E/Z]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 11 20:52:35 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAR.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: <burgdal32 at mac.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.10 (05) [E]

> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.10 (02) [D/E]
Ron of Zeeland  wrote...
> Since Zeêuws/Zeelandic is very closely related to West-Flemish, it's no
> suprise that the word 'stute' is used in Zeeland as well. We also know
> the
> word 'vierstute' in exactly the same meaning as Luc metioned it. Some
> words
> in Zeêuws:
> - stutemaele: little cotton bag that contained the lunch (slices of
> bread)
> - beuterstute/stropiestute/sukerstute (etc.): slices of bread with
> butter/syrup/sugar
> - een stute mee broôd: dry bread (usually used a bit sarcastic; it's
> litterally a slice of bread with bread; 'aerpels mee petaoten en aerpels
> toe' can be complared with that: litt. potatoes with potatoes and
> potatoes
> to finish with; a modest meal)
> - stutekappe: the end of a bread
Exept for the word 'stropiestute'we all know the other words.
> What Luc calls 'vollaerdstuutn' or 'koekebroôd', we usually call
> 'klakkers'
> (old bread prepared/'baked' in hot milk; 'wentelteefjes' in Dutch).
This is something completely different:
koekebrood= a kind of bread like brioche in French, with or without
raisins.
klakkers: We call them 'klakkaarts'in the same meaning and we prepare it
with some brown sugar.

greatings,
Luc Vanbrabant
And meany thanks for all the reply's.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Lowlanders,

I wrote:

> Ah!  I believe then that it is related to German _Stutz(en)_ 'short,
> stubby thing', oftentimes also 'stubby tail'; Middle High German
> _stotze_ '(short) log', 'stem', 'chunk', _stutze_ '(stubby) beaker', and
> the verb _stutzen_ 'to trim', 'to clip' (e.g., a tail).

So, I guess the basic meaning is something like 'stub,' which would also
explain why in Dutch the tailbone (coccyx) is _stuit(je)_.

This whole thing reminds my of German _Knust_ 'heal of a loaf of bread',
and Low Saxon (Low German) _Knuust_ (Dutch spelling _knoest_) [knu:s(t)]
'heal of a loaf of bread', in some dialects also 'knoll', sometimes also
'loner', 'lone wolf'.  The _Herkunftsduden_ identifies _Knust_ as North
German and mentions Middle Low Saxon _knûst_ and Dutch _knoest_ 'gnarly
growth,' 'knot', 'burl', 'snag', also Danish _knyst_ 'cartilage', 'welt'
and Old Icelandic _knauss_ 'mountain top'.  Some South German dialects
have _Knaus_ and Swiss German _(k)chnûs_, but the supposed High German
adaptation _Knaust_ (of _Knuust_?) is now obsolete.

Usually, Low Saxon has /uu/ <uu/oe> where Dutch has <ui> (e.g., _Huus_ =
_huis_ 'house'), and Low Saxon has /ou/ <oo/ou> where Dutch has /uu/
<oe> (e.g., _good_ ~ _goud_ = _goed_ 'good').  So, Dutch having _knoest_
(see above), Flemish having _knoes_ 'heal of a load of bread', and Low
Saxon (Low German) having _Knuust_/_knoest_ 'heal of a load of bread' --
all with a long /u/ -- doesn't tally up, and I suspect this to be a loan
in one or the other language.  Does any of you have any idea about this?

And another etymological problem:

In some Low Saxon dialects, _Knuut_ or _Kanuut_ (Dutch spelling <knoet>
~ <kanoet>) means 'comrade', 'mate' (much like also _Macker_ ~
_makker_).  What is the etymology of this?  Does it have anything to do
with the Scandinavian men's name Knud ~ Knut (earlier English Canute)?
If so, what might be the story behind this?