LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.12 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 12 17:01:52 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 12.MAR.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Luc Hellinckx" <luc.hellinckx at pandora.be>
Subject: Juk, jok ...

Beste lieëglanners,

Regarding the "yoke"...so far, I found nothing but variations on "jok"
(quite often metaphorically : "ö jok ossen" = two oxen, because here in
Brabant previously two oxen were joined by one yoke, in later times they
each pulled their own yoke independently...this has much to do with the
condition of the soil, because on grounds where an ox might easily fall, the
stumbling ox would easily deter the other one, whereas on a stable surface
this problem would not arise). A smaller street that is like a junction
between two main streets is also often called "een jockstraet" in the
western part of Flanders...jocken = to join...
I'm still working on it, but so far I have never encountered the word
"dracht" as a yoke here. This sentence comes closest  : "Daann ballek èè ni
vööl dracht", meaning "That joist is not much supported by the other ones".

Maybe originally "jok" meant : a yoke for two oxen, and later on, in those
lands where yokes were split, this very word became known as an object being
carried on a single person's (or animal's) shoulders ??? Thus substituting
the original word : Dracht ??? Further research (ox > horse) on the historic
evolution of how a plough was pulled (or should I rather say "dragged" ?) in
Niedersachsen might be necessary.

People who desire to browse a dictionary (released in 1808) about German
dialects could have a look here :

http://www.ub.uni-bielefeld.de/diglib/adelung/grammati/index.htm

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx