LL-L "Slang" 2002.03.15 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 16 00:55:40 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.MAR.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: lingoman at webtv.net
Subject: slang

Ron, greetings from a long-time (and appreciative) lurker!  I wanted to
comment on "tomato": your "informant" is correct.  In this context, it
has to be pronounced as you indicated.  I suspect it is indeed
generational, a term I'd associate with the WWII generation.  I'd say
the most common phrase I've heard is "She's a real hot tomato" (=
lekkere meid)
On a personal note: thank you, Ron, for this list, and hope you're fully
recovered from your run-in with the car...

Sean Roach
(car-less pedestrian in Washington DC)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks a lot, Sean!  It was good to hear from you.  You can lurk, but
you can not hide, at least not from me, Mr.
Car-less-but-by-no-means-careless Lingoman.

So, do you think "tomato" in this sense is a general, not necessarily
Southern-State American slang term?

P.S.: I was a street-crossing (not jaywalking) pedestrian hit by the car
of an over-anxious, young, male and now very remorseful driver.  I'm
still limping and going through (expensive) diagnostics and have begun
struggling with pushy insurance people who want me to sign things that
they don't want me to look at too closely ...  Yeah, sure!  Never a dull
moment.