LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.03.19 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 01:26:22 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.MAR.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Reuben Epp" <repp at silk.net>
Subject: Cranberries

Dear Carey,

Your e-mail address posted in the guestbook backfired
on me, so I am posting my answer to your question via
Lowlands-L, in the hope that you are still reading us.

Just came across your entry in Lowlands-L guestbook,
and your question regarding the Low German name for
cranberries.

In Mennonite Plautdietsch the name for cranberries is clearly
'Suabäare' (sourberries). This is confirmed by Herman
Rempel's (of Morden) dictionary 'Kjenn Jie noch Plautdietsch'
and Jack Thiessen's (of New Bothwell) dictionary
'Mennonitisch-Plautdietsches Wörterbuch.' So, you had the
answer closer to hand than you may then have guessed. Why
not get these valuable dictionaries?

What cranberries may be called in the many other dialects of
Low German/Low Saxon/ Plattdüütsch, I do not know.
Probably not of interest to you anyway.

Cheers!

Reuben Epp

Carey Kehler (chayla at mb.sympatico.ca / no homepage ) wrote:

What a surprise it was for me to find your site, when I keyed in the
words
"Low German" into the Yahoo search engine. I never would have thought
anyone
would put a low german web page together.

We brought my wife's 97 year old grandmother a bottle of Cranberry wine
for
Christman, and believe it or not, nobody could think on the word
Cranberry
in low german. I was hoping to find it on the net. I still haven't found
it,
but will keep looking around the internet until I do.

Keep the low german language alive! There is no other language like it
anywhere.

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

In the North Saxon dialects of Low Saxon (Low German) in Northern
Germany, 'cranberry' is _Kraansbeer_ or _Kroonsbeer_ (the plural with
_-en_).  So this one is related to the English word.

P.S.: I am BCC'ing Carey on this.