LL-L "Expressions" 2002.03.20 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 20 16:41:12 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.MAR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: fr.andreas at juno.com
Subject: Hello.

     "Bon Appetit" in English is "Eat Hearty!"

+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

----------

From: "W!M" <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Expressions" 2002.03.19 (04) [E]

Charge?

[Wim Verdoold]

----------

From: "Elsie Zinsser" <ezinsser at simpross.co.za>

Dag almal!

While reading Randy Elzinga" frisiancow at hotmail.com  question on
phrases in English for the French "bon appetit", I am reminded of one
of Ferdinand Deist's exquisite stories "Die Toring van Bawel" which I'll

paraphrase here:

Oom Van der Merwe was tasked to go and assist with the installation of a
million
Rand electrical relay station in the arid Karoo and as it is, a
French-speaking
engineer was amongst the foreign experts.

The first morning at breakfast Oom Van is seated with Pierre for
breakfast.
Neither knows the other's language, but to get the conversation flowing
Oom Van
pushes out his hand and says "Van der Merwe!" to which Pierre responds
with a
hearty "Bon appetit!" and they sit down and have their breakfast.

After a week, Oom Van gets bored with the non-conversation at table and
grumbles
to his foreman that he wants another seating partner for breakfast
because all the
Frenchman says every morning is 'Bon appetit' and then nothing.

So the foreman advises Oom Van that 'Bon appetit!' means "Lekker eet!"
and reminds
Oom Van to remain friendly and hospitable with the foreigner and perhaps
the conversation
might flow from there.

So the next day, Oom Van is in a more positive spirit and before sitting
down gives Pierre
a hearty "Bon appetit!" to which Pierre replies, "Van der Merwe!"

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser