LL-L "Low Saxon" 2002.03.26 (11) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 27 05:47:10 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.MAR.2002 (11) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Low Saxon

Mike, Lowlanders,

Further on "New Russia" ... I looked it up in Reuben Epp's book (_The
Story of Low German & Plautdietsch: tracing a language across the
globe_, Hillsboro, Kansas: The Reader's Press, 1993):

p. 97, footnote 1:
---start quote---
Although the area known as the Ukraine in which the first major
Mennonite colonies were established, is often referred to by them as
South Russia, at the time of those settlements they were located on
lands newly conquered by Russia, and were then known as New Russia. See
James Urry's _None but Saints_, pp. 51, 68, 70.
---end quote---

p. 126, bibliography
---start quote---
Urry, James, _None But Saints_, (Hyperion Press Limited, 1989)
---end quote---