LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.28 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 16:08:31 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 28.MAR.2002 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Elsie Zinsser" <ezinsser at simpross.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.27 (10) [E]

Haai almal!

Ron asked:
>I wonder if somehow along the way "place" and "manner" (= "way,"
"skill") got tangled up, combined >by the ideas of "way" and
"direction."
>Do other Lowlands, Germanic and Indo-European languages offer further
>clues?

When I started reading the posting I immediately thought that the words
'aarde' (direction 'place') and 'aart' - [Hoe is jou aart!?] (direction
'manner') must have a shared root somewhere in the far past.
I imagine 'erts' also relates to those.

It's not unlikely that ancient humans first saw themselves as part of a
whole (earth) and slowly branched from that 'self = earth' to 'self =
beyond' (i.e. going places, exploring, using tools and developing
skills). It figures that we gradually made words from original roots to
give expression to our experiences.

Regards
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: fr.andreas at juno.com

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002 20:59:03 -0800 R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com
writes:
   "I have been wondering about Scots _airt_ (pronunciation [ert]?) in
the sense of "place" as used in the Scots version of our welcoming page
(_the airt at ye byde_ 'your abode', 'your place of residence').  Before
checking reference material, I could not think of a Standard English
cognate..."

How about "Yard"?

+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dutch and Afrikaans _aarde_ is a cognate of Low Saxon (Low German)
(/eird(e)/) _Eer(d(e))_, German _Erde_, Yiddish _erd_, English _earth_
(< Middle English _erthe_ < Old English _eorðe_), Scandinavian _jord_,
Icelandic _jörð_, etc.

_Yard_ comes from Old English _geard_ 'enclosed area', thus is
apparently related to German _Garten_, Yiddish _gartn_, Low Saxon
_Gaarn_, Scandinavian _gård_, Icelandic _garður_, etc., meaning
'garden', 'yard'.