LL-L "Etymology" 2002.03.29 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 29 19:13:56 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 29.MAR.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Etymology"

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> So if Scots speakers read or heard the literal translation of German
> _Wohnort_, "wonn airt" or "wonnin airt" (which I suspect doesn't really
> exist as a legitimate word), they might understand it, at least within
> certain contexts.  Do you think so?

Provided they're used to reading Scots literature, since it's
an archaic literary word. The fact that Burns uses it would
boost the number of Scots speakers who have the word in their
passive vocabulary, though.

I suppose "wonnin airt" might be all right as a construction,
but the usual Scots phrase using this word to signify a
"dwelling place" was "wonnin-hoose".

> Do you think this _wonn_ is derived from Old English, or might it be a
> "Flemish" loan?  The German verb root for 'to dwell' or 'to reside' is
> /voon-/ _wohn-_, Low Saxon /vaan-/ _wahn-_ ~ _wohn-_ ~ _waan-_, and
> Dutch /voon-/ _woon-_.

The SND says that it's known in Old Scots, but may have been
borrowed from Old English. It describes the word as obsolete
in English, but archaic in Scots. I guess this means that its
use by well known writers such as Burns and Ramsay prevent it
from becoming completely obsolete in Scots. Just shows how
important it is to keep a language's literature in the public
eye!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.
                          - C.W.Wade,
                    'The Adventures o McNab'

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Wow!  So it *has* been used!

What about *_wonn(in) steid_ then, analogous to archaic Flemish
_woonste_ and Low Saxon (Low German) _waanstee(d')_?  Would it be
understood, and has it ever been used?

> Just shows how
> important it is to keep a language's literature in the public
> eye!

Right on!