LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.05.01 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 20:13:12 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAY.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Gustaaf Van Moorsel <gvanmoor at aoc.nrao.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.05.01 (02) [E]

Randy Elzinga wrote:

> The person who told me about this language also said that it was "spoken
> in
> rural Slovenia during the rule of the Austro-Hungarian
> empire" and that is was influenced by Slavic.  I don't think I've heard
> Slovenia mentioned in reference to Low Saxon, and, considering that
> (High)German is spoken in Austria, but not, as far as I know, Low Saxon,
> perhaps it is an offshoot of German rather than Low Saxon, and my source
> has made an error.

I had never heard about a language named 'cochere', but a search
on Google with keywords Slovenia and Saxon can lead to unexpected
results.

In present day Slovenia there is an old German speaking region
names Gottschee, and the language is called Gottscheerisch.  It
is not related to Low Saxon, but rather a Bavarian/Carinthian
dialect according to some of the Web sites I found.  A place to
start is:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/6711/

Gustaaf

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks, Gustaaf.

The place is called Kocevje in Slovenian and is situated 40 miles (65
km) south of Ljubljana (German Laibach) and 60 miles (95 km) east of
Trieste, Italy. "It is theorized that the word Gottschee is derived from
the Slovenian "Hocevje", meaning pine forest."*
http://www.cableone.net/bernie/gottschee.html

(*This must have been before Slovenian, like Czech, Slovak, Upper
Sorbian and Ukrainian, underwent the shift g > h.)

So, all of this is well and truly outside the Lowlands.