LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.01 (05) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 1 21:23:54 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.MAY.2002 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: Language Varieties

Perhaps someone can help me with these words, which I have heard on TV
today.

1. On Neighbours, I'm sure I heard Ellie describe Carl as 'fashious'. In
Scots this means 'annoying', 'vexatious', 'overly fussy', and this
fitted the context. Chambers Dictionary flags it as Scots. I wondered if
this word had found its way into Australian English from Scots; if it's
more widespread in English than Chambers indicates; or if I'm beginning
to go deaf!

2. Stent. On Tomorrows World, used of a device for enlarging arteries.
I'm very familiar with this word in Shetlandic, meaning to stretch
tight, as of the stomach after food - exactly the meaning of the
artery-stretching device. As Derrick Herning (polyglot of Europe at one
time) says in his translation of Max und Moritz (end of second trick):

Jarm an Jeemsie stentit foo
Snores laek grice ahint da skroo
Aa dat's left owre o dis footh
Is a hen leg i der mooth

stentit foo - with stomachs stretched full of food
grice - pig(s)
footh - abundance
skroo - round, peaked construction of corn sheaves

This word is given in the Concise Scots Dictionary, but Chambers doesn't
give it at all with this meaning. Is the name of the medical device a
coincidence?

John M. Tait.