LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.02 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu May 2 23:36:17 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAY.2002 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2002.05.02 (01) [E]

Andrys (supported by Brad) wrote:

>> 1. On Neighbours, I'm sure I heard Ellie describe Carl as 'fashious'. In
>> Scots this means 'annoying', 'vexatious', 'overly fussy', and this
>> fitted the context. Chambers Dictionary flags it as Scots. I wondered if
>> this word had found its way into Australian English from Scots; if it's
>> more widespread in English than Chambers indicates; or if I'm beginning
>> to go deaf!
>
>I imagine it's fascist pronounced badly/colloquially. The word is used
>commonly to mean bossy, dictatorial. I'm assuming you watch Neighbours
>solely for linguistic purposes?

Ah - never thought of that! Ellie is always getting slagged off by Carl
for not speaking properly.

As for watching it for linguistic purposes only - of course, what else!
I'm still trying to think of a sound academic reason for watching
certain late night programmes on Sky, which I've just had installed -
something to do with body language, perhaps...

John M. Tait.

http://www.wirhoose.co.uk

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

John Magnus,

When you mentioned this "fashious" I, too, immediately thought of
"fascist" (which I have heard used in this way in Australia already
"donkey years" ago), but I thought, "Nah! It can't be that simple!"  I
guess this use of "fascist" is similar to that of "... nazi" in the
States (and now elsewhere?).  It seems to have started with the "soup
nazi" character (a dictatorial owner of a soup kitchen -- "No soup for
*you*!!!") in the sitcom "The Seinfeld Show."  This device requires a
noun before "nazi" (e.g., "computer nazi" for a dictatorial computer
maintenance or networking person, or "garden nazi" for an officious,
bossy community gardening coordinator).

> I'm still trying to think of a sound academic reason ...

Rack your brain no more!  This is one of the great things about being
known as a linguist and/or glossophile (or even as a glossophiliac):
almost *anything* can be deemed or declared relevant (yes, even sports
events and nature documentaries), certainly anything that has anything
to do with communication and interaction, which can be extremely
convenient when it comes to accounting for one's time.

> ... for watching certain late night programmes on Sky, which I've
> just had installed - something to do with body language, perhaps...

Not knowing what "Sky" and its "late night programmes" were, you had me
worried there for a second or two.  However, a quick web search
convinced me that I didn't need to double-check with you before posting
your confession.

Keep watching!